Getting a new desk, narrowed it down to two

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bounou, Jan 15, 2014.

1. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Redoing my home office this month and on the fence between which two desks i should get to go in it.

The first desk is made of rosewood and tanned light olive, looks great and is fairly reasonably priced:

[​IMG]

The second desk is made of teak and has stainless steal legs:

[​IMG]

The second desk is very nice but much more expensive, almost double the price of the first one.

I am on a fixed budget for the remodel and will probably have to forget about the very very nice matching rosewood bookcases i was planning to buy to go with the first desk.

Both desk will have a VESA monitor arm installed in them if that makes a difference.

Really unsure what direction i should go, is the second desk really worth almost double the price?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Can't give decorating opinions without seeing the rest of the office. Sleek modern-ish, vs. casual/funky? Express yourself!

From a purely practical approach... If that's a standard-height dining table (approx. 30"/75cm), it's too high for efficient typing/mousing (unless you're substantially taller than 6'/1.83m). If you decided to drop the height by a few inches/cm, which legs would be easier to cut? It doesn't look like the skirt would bump your thighs if you did cut it down, but you never know.

3. bounou thread starter macrumors 6502

bounou

The height is not a an issue, I'm pretty tall and have a very adjustable chair, won't need to cut the legs.

As far as the look goes, looking simple and clean with a hint of geeky but that will mostly be from the decorations, couple of framed Star Wars posters mostly.

Will paint the office grey, nouveau chateau from Benjamin Moore to be exact.

The second desk is nicer I think but it ends up costing me this bookcase which I really like:

[​IMG]

I guess my question is the other desk worth giving up the bookcase for

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

The second desk looks like you took it from an Apple store.

I would go with the first desk and grab the book shelf with it. Looks rustic and nice.

5. Barnso macrumors newbie

I personally like the second one.
    Together with the bookcase, and depending on the rest of the office, the first might also be a good choice.
    Could you tell me the brand and model of the second one? :D

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I prefer the first table. Stainless steel is over done I also just don't think it looks right with a wood top. For stainless the top should be glass or stone.

7. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree... for a home office that stainless looks too cold. JMO :)