getting a new hard-drive - image question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Qwest905, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

how can i image my pre-existing hard-drive and port it to my new hard-drive so i don't have to re-install everything

thanks

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

SuperDuper!. The easiest way is to put your new disk into an enclosure and use SuperDuper! to create a full image of your current drive onto it. Then replace your disk with the new one, switch on, and continue working where you left off.

3. Qwest905 thread starter macrumors 6502

Qwest905

sounds perfect..what if i dont' have an enclosure for a 2.5 drive..i just have my external drive...

would i just install a fresh leopard on the new disk..then afterwards run the backup file made by superduper?

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If your external drive has an empty bootable partition on it that you could use as the destination for your image, then you can do the image copy, install your new drive, boot from the external and transfer the image to the new drive.

If you don't have a bootable partition on your external, then it gets a bit more convoluted because you can't transfer an image back to the disk you're currently booted from...

Probably the easiest method:
    - Boot from your install DVD
    - Run Disk Utility and create an image file of your current hard disk on your external
    - Replace the hard disk
    - Boot from the install DVD again
    - Run Disk Utility and format the new disk, then transfer the image back from your external onto the new hard disk

For $20 - $30 I'd get an enclosure, you can use your old disk in it if you want, once you're done