Getting a new Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wakerider017, Apr 19, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Hey guys,

I am going to be getting a new internal drive for my 24" iMac. I already know how to physically install it.

My question for you is how do I transfer all my old info onto the new drive? Is there any way I can clone the old drive onto the new one? Not sure how to do this since I can only have one hard drive in my Mac at a time.

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

what I did for my MacBook, and I assume it would also work on the iMac, is put the new hard drive in an external enclosure and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old hard drive to the new one. Then I installed it in my MacBook. Worked perfectly.

3. eldino macrumors member

eldino

reminder: you need an external enclosure to do this..

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

What does it mean to put it iin an external enclosure and what exactly is Carbon Copy Cloner?

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

an external enclosure is a case that you buy to put a harddrive in, to make it an external harddrive. It connects to the computer by USB and/or Firewire

Carbon Copy Cloner is a free software program that will make an exact copy of one harddrive onto another.

6. surfer99 macrumors 6502

7. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I like using a firewire external hard drive as a quick and easy hard drive backup. So take that old drive and buy an enclosure.

-T

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Remember that the drives are both SATA, and the vast majority of FIrewire enclosures take Parallel ATA (IDE) drives. Make sure you choose a SATA / Firewire enclosure.

For software of almost any time, searching www.versiontracker.com is a good idea.