Getting a new mac...help with ipod/iphone/itunes...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellodon, May 8, 2008.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

So I have a new mac arriving next Tuesday (yay!)

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm just curious what the best way to deal with my itunes/ipod/iphone is so that I don't lose any of the data on them.

I currently deal with my ipod manually. I have a ton of stuff on it that is no longer on my computer. I also have songs that I grabbed from my old work computer and songs from my current work computer (which seemed odd to me since I thought you could only get songs from 2 computers max...? Is that no longer the case?)

Anyway, I don't want to just transfer this entire computer over so that's definitely out of the question*. I did that in the past and it caused me some problems. I'm going to start from scratch with the new one and build what I need from the ground up....

I will probably transfer my entire iTunes library over just to be safe...

-Is there any way to keep my playlists?

-When I connect my iPod, will I run into any problems since it will be a new machine?

-Will there be any issues with my phone?

-Any files I should transfer over that are tucked away in my preferences?

Just want to make sure I'm prepared. If theres anything I should be cautious about so I don't lose anything with my devices please let me know!

I may also grab a program to rip my entire ipod onto the new computer but I just want to make sure that I don't lose anything that's on there because most of it would be a pain in the butt to gather.

Thanks in advance!

(*does anyone suggest I just do the transfer? It just seems the 2 times I've done it before, the computers ran kinda choppy at times and I think that was the cause of it)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Is your old computer a mac with firewire? If so you can use migration assistant and it will transfer everything for you and it will be like your old computer.

If not, your iTunes Library can be transfered, playlists and all. Just make sure to copy the iTunes Library folder from your old computer and put it in the Music folder in your new user's home folder.

Your iPod will have to be erased by the new computer for it to allow it to sync. I suggest backing everything up off of it.

Preferences are preferences. Some are more useful than others. Depends on what you're after.