Getting a new Mac in 2013

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McGiord, Mar 24, 2013.

1. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hi there to all MacRumors good people.

I have been away for some time, enjoying my iPhone 5 and still using my late 2008 MacBook Pro when the Mac is needed.

I am starting to look around to get a newer Mac, and I wanted to add a large screen, so I was thinking on choosing one the following:
    1- 27" iMac
    2- MacBook Pro + Display
    3- MacPro + Display

I am really disappointed with the current available choices:
    - 27" iMac internal hard drive is not user replaceable?
    - MacBook Pro -> Retina is overpriced, and not very serviceable? Non-retina seems to not be the latest and greatest?
    - Mac Pro is still the same old model
    - Apple Displays are very expensive and only working with Thunderbolt? Are there any good non-Apple alternatives you recommend? Or why the Apple Displays are the thing to get.

I do appreciate your corrections, comments and suggestions, and also I do look forward for your input about these two things:
    1- What will you suggest me to buy based on what is available today
    2- What will you suggest to buy after waiting for some new Macs that could could be available later this year.

I am not ready to buy anything today, but will be making the purchase later this year, I think I could wait until December.

Thanks

2. Silvereel macrumors 6502

I think you'll love the 27 inch iMac if you get it. Even if you're the type of actually does change their hard drive now and then, the benefits of the new machine will outweigh the negatives. It's got as much power as 99% of people will need, it's got a fantastic Apple Display built right in, the Fusion Drive is just insanely fast, and did I mention, it's thin? :D

Seriously though. If you really, really think you're going to need something more hard core, or a user changeable is a non-negotiable for you, you could always wait around a little while and see if the much fabled Mac Pro '13 materializes. But I still think the iMac would suit you fantastically. It's definitely way more powerful than what you're using now, and even more powerful than some fairly recent models of the Mac Pro. Plus, you won't even have to worry about displays.

Of course, if you do want to worry about displays, I'm not going to lie to you; there are definitely other good displays on the market. That doesn't mean they're better, though, and I think Apple Displays look great with other Apple products!