Getting a new Mac. Want to sync hard drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeonTV, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MikeonTV macrumors regular

I have a 6 month old Macbook Pro and I'm very happy with it. Work, however is getting me a new one (how terrible, right?! :D) and I'd like to have a the same (if not similar) system running on it.

Is there a way to get everything (Application, files, settings etc.) copied from my old to my new Mac?

I don't care if it's just a one time thing. I don't want to go through all the hassles of finding all my old discs and installing everything yet again!

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

or Time Machine that is already in your computer. It's very easy. But you need an external HD. But yet, you should have one to make backups anyway!:cool:

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Or when booting the new one for the first time and going through the set up process it will ask you if you want to sync information using disc migration from another Mac.... you can pick and choose what you would like to sync.. like all preferences all apps all users etc... the quickest way to do it is connect the macs to each other using the ethernet port.

5. MikeonTV thread starter macrumors regular

I have an external! Woo hoo. So if I backup using Time Machine and then on the new machine restore using Time Machine and the same external both computers will be the same??!

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

In theory it should, but this will add an extra unnecessary step, and Time Machine can be a bit wacky when restoring to a new system.

Your best bet is to connect the new computer to the old using an ethernet cable and using the Migration Assistant when you first boot up the new computer. CarbonCopyCloner would also be good if you want an exact copy of your data (including your login information and such).