Getting a new MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nearmiss, Mar 1, 2013.

1. nearmiss macrumors newbie

nearmiss

Howdy, This is my first post on the forums and I just had a couple questions. I'll be buying a MacBook Pro soon since my old ThinkPad just isn't cutting it anymore. It really seems to be lacking in quality.

Anyway, what would you guys recommend for someone who hasn't bought a laptop in 7 years? Should I go full on and get one of those ones with a better screen? I'll most likely have it another 7 years. Thanks in advance.

2. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

How about you start explaining what you would actually use it for ;)

3. nearmiss thread starter macrumors newbie

nearmiss

Mainly video editing, picture editing, and world of warcraft hopefully if it can run it :p

4. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

My advice, check out the basic 15" Retina in the Apple Store.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I'd recommend getting a 15" (r)MBP (Retina or not is up to you) with 1GB VRAM. This will help in video editing, photo editing, and gaming (such as World of Warcraft).

6. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

I think a new rmbp 15 will be really useful for video and pic edits. the 1GB vram will certainly help, also just out of curiosity: you used a 7 year old laptop for video editing? :eek:

7. Sleepy01 macrumors member

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you are really planning to use it for 7 years, at least get the 16GB RAM option if you go with the Retina because you can't upgrade that later.

I would also consider the non-retina 15" MBP. If you want a bit higher resolution screen you can order it with the 1680x1050 screen option in either glossy or antiglare. As someone else said you should probably also choose the 1GB graphics card option.

With the non-retina you can upgrade the hard drive and RAM yourself easily in the future, which might be a big plus with your scenario. You can also replace the optical drive in this machine with another hard drive with the right adapter bracket. You could install a 128GB or 256GB SSD to hold the OS and your applications along with a big hard drive for storing photos, video editing projects etc.

9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Advice depends on the size of your photo libraries and Video project folders. While the rMBP is a fantastic machine and the SSD drives are night and day quicker than a standard HD, the capacity is significantly less. If you plan on using a thunderbolt connected hard dive to store multiple projects then this would be fine, but if not you might want to consider one of the higher capacity MBP models instead. Even WoW takes up some 25GB of space.

10. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

For a 7 year laptop you're going to want to max it out regardless. Jmo.

11. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

I just purchased the "base" model Macbook Pro retina (2013).

What a workhorse! I got the i7 2.4ghz with 8GB RAM.

I tried throwing everything at it (running multiple programs such as LogicPro/Garage Band/Surfing) simultaneously without any bog down.

I don't do a lot of gaming, but I do have HalfLife2/Portal on it. Runs it with 0 problems and starts up in seconds.

I don't see this machine becoming obsolete anytime soon... :apple: