getting a new macbook, which HD to get.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbiker, Jul 13, 2008.

1. macbiker macrumors newbie

Planning on getting my first mac ever in a couple of weeks during the tax free holiday here in NC.

I'm planning on getting the white 2.4ghz 2gb ram macbook. It comes with a 160gb hard drive, should I upgrade to a 250gb hard drive for 90$. Or should I just wait and maybe get a passport drive later and swap it out?

Advantages of standard config
    - cheaper
    - can get it right away at the apple store, not sure if they'll have any with the 250gb in stock.

If I configure it online and order it there, I'll be able to personalize my free iPod touch.

What do you think?

Will the apple store have a 250gb 2.4ghz macbook in stock with the standard 2gb of ram?

Thanks.

2. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

How soon do you need it? I would wait to get the exact config. you want. 160GB is decent

3. qacjared macrumors regular

buy an external hard drive instead so that you can back things up with time machine. Cheaper, more useful, and will save you trouble down the road if you mac is ever broken/stolen and you dont have your data/music/iTunes.

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I think you should buy a 320GB 5400 2.5" SATA drive.

It will cost £58 (roughly $100 in USA, I guess) and is the easiest upgrade. Take out the battery, unscrew the RAM shield, pull the little tab towards the side and swap the disks over.

And Roberts your mother's brother.... Easy guv'nor ;)

5. macbiker thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies so far

I would need the laptop relatively quickly. My father's old laptop has broken, so I'm giving him my PC laptop.

A couple of questions about the hard drive upgrade issue.

When upgrading the drive, how do I must OS X onto the new drive, will I just use the enclosed OS X disc?

I do like the idea of having an external hard drive and having time machine back it up. So I might end of doing this.

Thanks.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Install is a cakewalk and then you just install OS X with the Restore DVDs.

7. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Your macbook will boot into the enclosed Leopard DVD after you install a new, blank hard drive. You can even take the opportunity to exclude the language packs to save space.

8. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I think they make 500 GB drives that fit in there now! ;) :)