Getting a new MacBook: Which method to mod the Apple Logo?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by todd2000, Aug 11, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I'll be ordering my shiny new MacBook tomorrow! I want to mod the Apple Logo and make it look like the Retro Logo. I have found a few different methods to do it, but Im not sure which I should use.

Method 1 - iColours Insert. (with sanding Apple Logo) Does opening the case to put the insert in void the warranty? Their sight says it "may void your warranty." Also is sanding the white off the Apple Logo really necessary? If I could leave the Apple Logo white I could just make the computer look stock again if I ever have to send it in for service. Will it be bright enough if I don't sand it?

Directions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3a2PmmF5T4

Method 2 - Sticker (From SkinStyler) over the top of the Apple Logo. This is a nice easy method, but Im concerned it will look cheap and crappy. Has anyone used a sticker to change their Logo? How does it look?

Thanks!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd wager number one, especially with Unibody models will void your warranty.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I should have specified Im getting a White MacBook.

I was thinking if method 1 would work well enough without sanding the Apple Logo, then If I ever have to get it serviced I could always revert back to the stock logo before I send it in.

4. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

my whitebook logo is sanded, and i've installed the gel insert. sanding the logo from the inside is a must, or it won't work. You'll see when you finally open it up. It also does void the warranty, opening the macbook up like that. especially sanding it.

But trust me, it looks awesome. I added a green logo and wherever i'm at people ask if its a special model macbook.

Do it!

5. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I think that with the whitebook you can take a piece of colored cellophane and put it in the display case, BAM, colored logo... dont think it violates the warranty either but im not sure.

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I'll just have to wait till the warranty is up to do the insert. In the meantime I guess I'll try the sticker.

7. Rai Saix macrumors member

No. In order for that cellophane to be seen, you HAVE to sand the white, and opening the top case at all voids the warrenty. In other words, mod the logo, and it'll void your warrenty, period.

My advice is to use the skinstyler stickers until your warrenty has expired, and then go for the real deal. I'll find a youtube video of the same exact sticker you want. In all honesty, it looks really good!

Also, I've heard reports that apple will still replace cracked plastic on the macbooks because they acknowledge the design flaw, and that they do it outside of warrenty. I dunno if it's true, but I've heard it.

8. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

number one will void your warranty but it is the BEST looking mod. ive done it on 4 macs, 3 pbs and one mb - it looks awesome!

[​IMG]

MB White Rainbow Insert

[​IMG]

12" PB Leopard Insert

i have a latest edition blackbook and im thinking of a lime green insert a la the matrix :D

10. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh man, I love that I can see your reflection giving a thumbs up! Seriously. It's something I would've done too.

11. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

haha yeah i was making the best of the mental reflection :p its a good insert, the best one ive done yet - it looked the dogs and everyone was loving it, unfortunately somebody at my work spilled a pint on it and then i sold it on ebay rather quickly!

im not sure what colour to get in my blackbook!!

12. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

just a quick tip - if you take the screen bezel and top cover of the macbook line off there is a kind of sticky gel that will come off them both, this is the 'seal' and if its gone the mac techs will know that its been tampered with and the warranty will be void!

so i would wait till its out of warranty and then get cracking!

13. KBenton macrumors member

Anybody have or seen the sticker? I'm wondering if it looks cheap or not. I want to get one for my 13'' macbook pro. There is no way I'm opening this baby up haha.

14. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

i had 3 stickers (your talking about the rainbow ones from icolours im guessing?) they look cheap and there is a border of clear sticker around the edge and it goes outside the apple logo and slighty discolors the case.

my advice is dont get that!

15. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

The stickers he linked to are actually from a different site.

I would assume that these ones do NOT have the clear border seeing as the install instructions on the site tell you to install the apple and then the leaf, i.e. two custom cut pieces.

I had a sticker that worked like this on my old blackbook, I had gotten it from a random seller on eBay who unfortunately doesn't sell anymore. I think I will buy a sticker from the listed site now. :D The black one looks sweeeet. Tint my Apple. :p

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

"Getting new MacBook, can't wait to void my warranty"

haha.. Go with te sticker dude!
    Method #1's risk/benefit ratio isn't worth it to me..

@ NewMacBookPlz, I need to talk to you.. Can't PM you!?

17. farkasam macrumors member

I'll admit, when I first saw this post it sounded like a super-cheezy idea, but these pics are awesome! nice job.

18. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Tracked down a picture of my Blackbook that I had bought a red sticker mod for.

This is a sticker that went on the outside of the Macbook and was custom cut to fit over just the white of the apple and the white of the leaf. No excess clear sticker bordering like on the icolour.ca solution. I imagine that this sticker is exactly like that of the those offered by SkinStyler.

http://www.skinstyler.com/apple-logo-mod-page-7.html

Although, please email the company and don't act on my assumption! Haha. I am thinking of contacting them and potentially buying the black one for myself. ;D

Attached Files:

19. After G macrumors 68000

After G

^ Honestly, the sticker looks quite good.
    Not worth it to void the warranty if they look like that :)

20. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I know the picture is really bad quality... but the sticker method really is a good route. :)

EDIT: Here is a flickr set of people that have used their Apple Logo Mod. Looks pretty great to me! I emailed them about the product too, will post the answer when I get it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinstyler/sets/72157613305367984/

21. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Reply from SkinStyler

22. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool, Its nice to see that stickers look good. I will be ordering them shortly, oh BTW Im typing this on my new MacBook. :)

23. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Congratz! I just ordered a black one for my Macbook and a red one for my friend's Whitebook this morning. Can't wait! I was so bummed when the eBay seller I used to get these from vanished!

24. Jelite macrumors 6502a

25. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

WOW! It looks a little thick/hard. haha. The one I bought from the eBay seller was laser cut vinyl. It was very soft, I hope these stick for a really long time. haha.