Getting a new MBP, 2GB and then upgrade online or 4GB from apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaoticprout, Jun 5, 2007.

1. chaoticprout macrumors member

Hey guys, definitely going to end up with 4 gigs of ram on my macbook pro, I was wondering whether it would run as well if I got 2 gigs from apple and bought the other 2 gigs online? Would it make any difference at all performance wise, because the 2gig to 4gig costs 700 bucks on the apple store. Thanks.

2. aeiz macrumors member

IF you purchase the MBP with 2 GB it comes with 2x1GB sticks, so unfortunately you would have to buy 4 GB in 2x2GB sticks. The MBP only has two slots.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Third party RAM is a better value. Apple charges you US$750 and takes away the 2 x 1GB. Third party prices for 4 Gb are US$236 - $359 and you get to keep the 2 x 1 Gb or sell it.

In the USA, MR readers most often recommend Crucial, OWC and Data Memory Systems

4. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Buy stock, upgrade to 2gb x 2 from OWC for around $250 or less. $750 from apple? Crazy.

5. chaoticprout thread starter macrumors member

so there would not be a difference performance wise correct?

6. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

OWC should be boycotted for price gouging hard drives. It's pretty ridiculous what they charge for some of the rarer drives on the market right now.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Correct. All 100% compatible Mac RAM runs at exactly the same performance.

Err... the drives are rare, you say? You have discovered the principle of supply and demand. If people want it, and it is in short supply, then price will rise. You don't like it, wait for it to become available from a discounter.

8. chaoticprout thread starter macrumors member

awesome, hopefully i can pick up my MacBook Pro today, apple store has them in stock. ;)