Getting a picture from an iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Justinb51, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Justinb51, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

When i jailbroke my iphone it deleted my pictures, no problem right, i backed them up. Well i cannot find the pictures i backed up.

All of the pictures are no longer in the camera roll but one of pics is still my iphone background.
    Is there any way to get that picture that is set as the background off of the phone? I mean it has to be there somewhere in the file system to be displayed on the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Jailbreaking doesn't delete pictures, try hard reboot.

If that failed, try re-running the Jailbreaking tool.

if that still failed, then try to restore your iTunes backup.

If all that failed, restore the firmware, re-jailbreak, restore backup.

3. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

maturola Thank you for your quick reply and your help!!

I tried the hard reboot with no luck. I really dont care about most of the pics just the one that is on the background.

With that said, i don't want to seem ungrateful, i am. however i do not want to have to rerun the jb tool or restore and go again. i dont want to have a chance to mess things up and have to reinstall all my tweeks (i have had to do that in the past)

Basically what i am getting at is there a way to use ifile or winscp to navigate through the phones files to find this specific pic and save it. Thanks in advance!

4. theriddler macrumors member

This thread asks the same thing with no solution.

/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard/HomeBackground.cpbitmap

The wallpaper file is in cpbitmap and there's no app to convert it to an image.

Wallpaper Jpegfier can convert backgrounds to jpeg but in order to do that you must reset the wallpaper.

You're better off with taking a screenshot of the wallpaper. Use iEmpty (visit this URL on your iPhone) to put a blank icon in a new page on the Springboard with a Winterboard theme that hides the dock and status bar.

5. theriddler macrumors member

Thought of something else. Do you have this folder?

/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/Sync/100SYNCD

My old photos from iOS4 ended up in there after using iTunes to sync them after restoring to iOS5.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I understand that you don't want to re do the whole thing, however consider this, Jailbreaking DO NOT remove pictures, if your pictures are missing is because something went wrong somewhere, which may bring you some issue later, everything may be working fine now but the fact that the pictures went missing give you a clue that something is rogue on your system and it may surface at some point, which maybe more damaging power.

7. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

i know this an old thread... however i finally figured it out.

Install iFile, go to
    Var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard choose the file HomeBackground.cpbitmap

On a PC (no mac version that i can find) go to the following web page.
    http://cpbitmap.cleverbyte.com.au

follow the simple instructions and the file is converted.

8. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Awesome find! Although I personally have never had this problem, I think it is awesome that you posted the solution. Even though it's an old thread, it is extremely beneficial to this forum and its members, and to an extent the entire jailbreaking community, that you came back and posted a solution a year later. I can't count how many times I've searched this forum for strange, isolated problems only to find a thread where someone else was experiencing the same problem but unfortunately the topic dies and no one posts a solution. We don't know if a solution was ever found or not, but it is so frustrating to finally discover someone else with the same problem only to never find out if they resolved it or not. I randomly see members pull up an old thread to post their solution and when I see that, I always think to myself, wow that was really thoughtful not to mention really helpful for record keeping purposes so jailbreakers could search for and benefit from said solution.

So as a contributing and active member here, I want to thank you. Good job!

9. Justinb51 thread starter macrumors 6502

Justinb51

No problem! This was really bugging me since my iphone 4s was jailbroken when I still had that phone. I have since gotten an Iphone 5, and the picture transferred to my 5, but i still had no way of getting it... until it was jailbroken and I did some further research. Hope this helps!