Getting a refund on Apple store gift card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stagmeister, Feb 15, 2011.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I'm not sure which forum is the right one to post this. But I know that if there is anywhere to get advice on this issue, it's Macrumors. So thanks in advance. Here's the story: My sister wanted to buy an iPhone for her boyfriend for valentine's day, but they actually ended up breaking up instead. She couldn't actually buy him an iPhone itself, because she's not on his cell phone plan. So she bought him a gift card for the exact amount (including tax). However, the Apple folks are telling her that she cannot return the gift card (even though it was purchased in lieu of an iPhone, which is returnable if it is not personalized). Is there anything that she can do, outside of begging the store manager (and of course bringing in the receipts to prove that it's not a fake card)??? I know that the Apple policies are very clear that gift cards are nonrefundable, but I'm sure that someone somewhere can make an exception for a unique situation.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think there is anything you can do, you can try talking to a manager and he may be nice, but it's unlikely.
    Maybe try to find a friend who was planning on buying an iPhone anyway and go with them to get it, use your giftcard and have them give you the cash.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I've never heard of an Apple store refunding a gift card. As you mentioned, they're pretty clear on that and the return policy for them. My only suggestions would be to either contact Apple directly and see if they can help out any or sell the card and try to recoup as much money for it as possible.