Getting a replacement.... How should I back up my data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Dec 30, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hey everyone, so Apple decided to retire my 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro Classic and I'm getting a new 15" MBP (with the dedicated graphics card, of course). I have a standard time machine backup on an external hard drive. Will this be enough to switch everything over when I get my new computer (especially programs I no longer have the passwords for)? Since all the internals are different, I was thinking that a "lighter" backup like time machine may be better than making a mirror of the hard drive and swapping that over to the new computer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, the replacement was like pulling teeth and definitely not worth it. My computer broke down 5 times. Every single component of the computer has been replaced 1-2 times except for the HD and CD drive. 5 weeks of my life were spent without a computer without planning. That being said, Apple was always extremely nice about each repair, being as quick as possible and professional as possible. After all, it's not like they made (or designed) the computer brake on purpose. And finally giving a new computer really says a lot about the company. While this was my first Apple product, they've earned a lifelong customer!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    good luck with your new MBP

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If you want to be on a safe side and you do have a spare external HD, you could create a SuperDuper! image of your current HD on it. You never know....

5. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Yeah, you'll be fine with TM - the beauty of a Mac... give it a boot drive and all is right the world.
    However, I too would recommend duping your current drive. One never can be too redundant - drive wise, anyway.
    I like Superduper but I like Carbon Copy Cloner even more.
    It's here ( http://osx.iusethis.com/app/carboncopycloner ) and free.

6. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

If you have another external hdd, it certainly wouldn't hurt to do a full backup. Note, no need to use superduper...disk utility's restore command can do the same thing.