Getting a replacement iPhone for someone else

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBug2, Aug 17, 2015.

1. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Hi, my iPhone 6 was submerged into water and died. Since I bought it from USA, I cannot get a replacement for it in EU. So I want to sell this to a friend of mine, who lives in USA. He can get a replacement for 300$ in USA, but would he need my credentials to get a replacement or would it be enough for me to send him the receipt?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I don't think it should be an issue as long as you have the Find my iPhone disabled. But being that you said that it was submerged into water and die. Does it ever turn on?

3. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

No it does not turn on, so it needs a total replacement. Find my iPhone shouldn't be an issue.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I had an easy time getting a replacement for my boyfriend's iPhone 5 under AppleCare+ (shattered screen), but he gave me his passwords and everything so I could do it for him while he was at work. The phone never transferred ownership, I was just taking it there for him.

I know that AppleCare coverage follows the device when it's resold, but I'm not sure if that applies to devices without coverage. Otherwise anyone could find a junked out iPhone and get a less expensive replacement for it.

5. iBug2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes but when someone finds a junked out iPhone they probably don't find the receipt for it.

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I don't see this as being an issue at all. They would likely just charge the "out of warranty" price of $299 as per: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

7. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

This! I just replaced an iPhone 6 from my employer. Just make sure to have your "find my iPhone" turned off and remove this phone from your iCloud account.
    Very easy to do this online.
    Good luck.

8. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

Find my iPhone can still be turned on if the phone is toast. You should check on iCloud.com. sign in with your credentials and go to the find my iPhone app. If the submerged phone still shows up, find my iPhone is still enabled and you are the only one that can disable it.