Getting a replacement iPhone... What to do

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Internaut, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Internaut macrumors 6502a

My 18 month old 3GS has developed a hairline fracture on the back casing (a common problem, I believe) and since I have Orange Care, Orange are replacing it tomorrow. I mostly know what to do here but want to check with the experts. At the moment I am:

- Ensuring all recent purchases are synced (just completed)
    - Upgrading to the latest version of the OS
    - Once this is done, I'll take a full back up (i.e. click on phone in iTunes select the backup option.

Is there anything else I need to do before my replacement arrives? Tomorrow, I'm assuming I will have to:

- Do the usual data deletion (email accounts, Safari cache, anything remotely personal and so on)
    - Remove the SIM card from the old iPhone and hand over to the courier
    - Plug the replacement iPhone into my MacBook and then select the restore option in iTunes.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    J

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i think you got it right.

-upgrade to lastest firmware
    -transfer all purchases from iPhone to iTunes
    -sync and backup
    -on the iPhone before you bring it in, erase all settings under settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings
    -take out sim
    -get new iPhone
    -plug into MacBook and setup from latest backup

I can't think of anything else. Good luck with your new iPhone :)

3. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for confirming. I'm hoping for a trouble free replacement.

4. Internaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, that all worked nicely. The only gotchas were:

- Amazon advised me to deregister Kindle, delete it and download it again onto the new iPhone (getting up and running with that took minutes and, it turns out Amazon keeps track of where I'm up to with my books)

- The factory refurbished iPhone appeared to be a completely blank iPhone but still, I had to do a complete erase of everything before iTunes would let me do the restore (moment of confusion while I tried to work that one out).

I didn't want a 4 and may even skip the next one when I'm eligible for upgrade in six months time (especially if it is, as rumoured, really a 4S) so I'm super happy with Orange's service at the moment.