Getting a small SSD how could I arrange data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BanterClaus, Oct 22, 2011.

1. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Basically I am considering purchasing a 64GB SSD and replacing the optical drive in my Macbook Pro. I want to use this drive for primarily for the OS and a few third party applications that I use on a daily basis however I would also like to put things like Safari on it. All my documents and other apps would go onto the other 320GB HDD.

Im just wondering how I would actually manage to do this, I mean installing the OS will be simple enough on this SSD but how will I be able to have some apps on this drive and some not? Also how will I be able to set my home folder/desktop to be on the old HDD? Just slightly confused I've never tried anything like this on Mac. Although I accomplished a similar thing on windows so I'm guessing it will be easier.

Also has anyone any recommendation on this: http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...t_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY ?

Thanks in advance

2. warvanov macrumors 6502a

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Moving the home folder is a copy affair, then in your user account telling the OS where your home folder is located...easy cheesy..but if you take the other HD out the computer will no boot so it might be a bit of a pain to take it in for repair.

All apps unless they are native to OSX i.e. Safari will ask you where you want the app installed..

http://osxdaily.com/2010/02/16/move-your-home-directory-to-another-location/

Check out the link for moving the home folder

4. BanterClaus thread starter macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay thanks. I think I understand this now. So when my SSD arrives what will be the most logical order to do stuff in.

How will I uninstall OSX on my older HDD and then transfer all the old apps to the new SSD... would it just be best to wipe the older HDD first then and then transfer all data and apps to the the places I want from my time machine?

I'm just slightly confused about the logistical way of moving all this stuff around...

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Because what you want to do is unique I would start from scratch...zero out the HDD go from there..I can't give you time machine advise because I don't use it like having a ready to go image of my drive so I use Carbon Copy Clone..

If possible put the SSD in the optical and leave the HDD in place that way you get the SMS and vibration/shock dampening where it needs it..

6. BanterClaus thread starter macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay thanks. This seems like its going to take some time but not be that difficult.

Wish me luck...

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Good luck, tis easy...Just Do It!!

8. an0nymity macrumors newbie

I would like to do this too. I have a question, when moving the Home folder into the HDD, will the Library folder have any performance difference since it's not going to be stored in the SSD?

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

10. BanterClaus thread starter macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Thanks a lot. This guide is great and explained everything :)

I'm slightly surprised at just how many people are opting for this route :p

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Sure, no problem. Happy to help.

12. marnuc macrumors member

I can 100% recommmend you the Nimitz caddy to replace the optical drive, it is cheap on ebay, works flawlessly and shipping is really fast.

13. BanterClaus, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

BanterClaus thread starter macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Right I found that,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-HDD-S...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item415b737383

However with my original link they also included an external enclosure for the optical drive. I noticed this nimitz also supply these http://www.ebay.com/itm/External-US...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item415c864de7

So before I purchase does anybody else have any recommendations on whether to get the Nimitz items or the MCE Optibay Bundle. Im swaying towards the nimitz just due to the fact its like £70 cheaper.

EDIT: SRAP THAT
    I found a similar product on Amazon UK for a little more but I won't have to pay any excessive import tax now :)

Also for anybody looking at this thread in the future I found a great little App that will help you determine what size SSD you should get. It shows how much storage your all your folders are taking on your hardrive in a nice UI. http://itunes.com/mac/sizefinder

EDIT AGAIN:

Right I've just read that the SATA interface for the optical drive only goes up to 3GBPS whereas the primary one is at 6GBPS. Will this actually be a huge performance hit or will the SSD never actually reach that max 3GB mark anyway?

14. marnuc macrumors member

Yeah, Nimitz is the way to go, I also got that external enclosure for the Optical drive and it works great, really easy to install, If I were you i would buy the nimitz from ebay, it has great reviews here, and it also works great and come with all the screws and all that.

About the speeds, I have right now a 128 gb samsung 470 which has a max speed of 3gbps, but it is really fast compare to a regular hd, I think with a new ssd that goes upo to 6 gbps you can have a more faster performance, but remember that maybe they are too new, and at first maybe dont work very well. (you should wait for a firmware update, and it also depends on the brand)