Getting a smart keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TriApple, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TriApple macrumors member

it blows my mind that I still can't get one without checking stock of 4 or 5 places every day. How could a launch be botched this bad?

The device is useless for my use case without it and just another heavy toy.

2. bharadw macrumors newbie

Keep checking BestBuy .. It's ridiculous how BB gets stock but not loyal Apple Store customers ..

I bought one on Friday (from BB) and it's being delivered today..

3. robert109 macrumors member

robert109

It is still in stock on T-mobile. I ordered mine on Sunday, hope it can be delivered before Christmas.

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

If what you call "stock" is it being up on the site for 10 minutes before disappearing, then yeah I guess Best Buy has them stocked

5. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I understand your frustration, the iPad pro in my opinion requires a keyboard. If anyone has one like myself, you would know that the keyboard is a necessity. The pencil isn't quite a necessity but the keyboard is how you remain productive on this device and helps you move around faster on it since the screen is so large.

6. xPad macrumors regular

You can, just place an order and wait. That's how it works with literally every single product in existence.

Again, you're just restating how the world works. If you need a specific part for a product to be useful to you, it's not useful to you without that part.

Nothing was botched. Apple can only manufacture so many things at a time (again, a reflection of how reality works).

What do you think they should have done differently? Waited on shipping the iPad Pro until there were sufficient Apple Pencils and Smart Keyboards (as some have suggested)? What good would that be? You'd still be without a complete iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard either way, and the rest of us who are less dependent on the Smart Keyboard would be SOL unnecessarily.

And even for you, you'd be worse off. At least right now you have the opportunity to try and snag a keyboard ahead of the supply-demand equalization point. Heck, even if you ordered one right now and just waited for that to be delivered, you'd have it well before you would if Apple had decided to wait until all three items are in sufficient supply.

The only thing that's botched is some people have a botched view of how the world works, as though it centers around them and their needs. Same thing happened during the MacBook launch and the Apple Watch launch.

7. xPad macrumors regular

I have one, and it's not a necessity.

Of the two, I'd prefer the Pencil if I had to only choose one.

Simply put, there's no One Right Answer. You're fooling yourself if you think that your personal preferences are somehow universal.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm perfectly happy using my iPad pro with a Bluetooth keyboard I already had on hand.

9. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

But for the majority of people, they don't even need the pencil. Think about it, besides note taking and drawing...what else do you need it for. The majority of the people will discover that the keyboard offers convenience, and the pencil is more of a show off accessory.

10. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Just buy the one from Logitech and return it when you get the Apple keyboard. It's even available directly from Apple and at least two of three colors are in stock for next day delivery in every country's Apple online store.

11. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But the keyboard is also just a convenience. It's not like the device can't be used without the keyboard. Right now I'm typing this post on the software keyboard, and it works perfectly fine.

13. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I really didn't care for the software keyboard when I first got it. After a couple days I realized I was typing like a retard and not even paying attention to the keys I was hitting so no wonder I was getting so many errors and having a bad time. I'm so used to hardware keys where I don't even have to look. My fingers just know the general location of whatever letter I wanna press and I press it and I'm usually right. Software is different. Every press has to be deliberate.

I did a typing test with the software keyboard vs hardware and after a couple weeks, I'm almost as fast on the software keys as hard keys. I'm liking it a lot. To the point where I might cancel my order for the smart keyboard cover

14. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

A big waste of screen space is the reason why I do not use the onscreen keyboard....it felt like im a kid trying to play with blocks....the onscreen keys are just so large

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, exactly. With the software keyboard, you do have to keep your eyes on the keys as you type, but it's not such a problem because the keys are on screen, anyway (Duh). I quickly got used to typing on the software keyboard when I got my first iPad, and haven't really looked back. In English, I'm a little faster on a hardware keyboard, but in Japanese, iOS predictive feature is so good, I'm actually faster entering Japanese on software keyboard in iOS than on Mac or Windows.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To each their own. But on the iPad Pro in portrait mode, I find the keys really take up very little space. It's the main reason why I feel like I can get real work done on iPP as opposed to th smaller iPads. On smaller iPads, like you say, the on-screen keyboard takes up too space, leaving too little space for the content.

17. xPad macrumors regular

I spoke only for myself.

Which is my point, that you seem to have missed. You can't claim something is a necessity as a blanket statement based solely on the fact that it's a necessity for yourself. That's absurd.

You mean, besides the things it was meant for, what do I use it for? Really?

Um, nope. The vast majority of people will make up their own damned minds, and neither you nor I have any business telling them what to think.