Getting a steady shot with such a light camera??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gator24765, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Hello everyone, just looking for a little help. I have a small Canon Vixia HF20. Great HD camera, the only trouble I have is getting a steady shot. I could put the thing on a tripod but I shoot sports better without it on a tripod. Any tips on how to get a clean steady shot with such a light device?

Second, anyone know which setting on the camera is best for shooting sports?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

There are several camera stabilizers on the market, plus, there are shoulder mounts and monopods available as well.

-DH

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

don't zoom in all the way.
    If your using FCP you can use the smoothcam filter

4. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

camera stabilizer would be awesome... im on a cheap budget..

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Search b and h. What's your budget? What sports do you shoot? Do you cover the whole game or just get highlights?

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

If you're on a budget then look into a DIY stabilizer. Google or check out the DIY section of DVXUser for advice/instructions. It shouldn't be too hard to get something decent to control such a small camera.

7. jabbott macrumors 6502

8. Moviejoe7 macrumors newbie

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Check for poorman steadycam on Google. You can build one for $19, pretty effective actually.

10. alph45 macrumors member

a few things you can do other than getting a stabilizer or mount.

- use built in optical stabilizer (assuming one)
    - practice "body as a tripod", keep camera close to body, turn body, not camera.
    - use the grid display function (assuming one) as a static reference. it's easier to see shaky movement on a static line/grid vs. dynamic motion.
    - adding any weight to the camera will help. This technically a stabilizer, but as an example you can add weight via the threaded 1/8" tripod mount, an 1/8" bolt and some washers.
    - use a monopod. a lot of tripod functionality but you can run with it.

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Attach any tripod, even a cheap one. Extend legs of tripod, but don't open it out. Just hold it and use it as a stabilising arm, either grounded, or off the ground.

I've had excellent results like that. Bonus is you can use it as a handheld crane and get very good angles you couldn't get otherwise.

I've been known to open the elbow to 90 degrees and run along with the camera an inch above the grass to get the worm's eye view.

12. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Yeah, using a tripod as counter weight is really useful. It will add weight and some grip. Try to find the center of balance (balance the tripod with the camera attached); put it on it's side, so camera on one side and legs on the other side, horizontal. This is how real steady cams work.

Or just use a tripod in an angle to hold it with both hands.

Altough I was going for a not stable look in this video it still looks pretty stable. None of the shots were done on a tripod standing on it's legs. Just by using a tripod as extension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_uT3154Kk