Getting a touch replaced

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lesfleanut, Mar 16, 2009.

1. lesfleanut macrumors newbie

I have a messed up 16GB 2G touch, and I was wondering if I had any options as far as getting it replaced. I don't have any applecare on it, but I was wonder if maybe I get it replaced by sending it to apple and paying a reduced fee for a new one. Is this a pipe dream, or has it been done before?

Is hasn't been jailbroken, and it hasn't gotten wet as far as I know. It randomly locks up and freezes/reboots (a lot). Sometimes it won't even boot (even into DFU) and I have to just wait and try to boot it later. I bought it about 5 months ago.

edit: my sig has my old ipod in it, in case you were wondering.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

All iPods come with a one-year warranty, so you're still covered. Defects that are caused by manufacturing problems are covered, what isn't covered is user-initiated problems (water damage, cracked screens, scratches, etc). If it's freezing up/resetting for no reason, considering you're still in your warranty period, Apple will probably give you a new one for free.

About the AppleCare comment, you still have until the end of the 1-year warranty (so another 7 months) to buy and activate AppleCare, which will extend it for a further 3 years.

3. lesfleanut thread starter macrumors newbie

heh, I wish I knew that earlier today. I bought an 80GB classic today to use interim. Though I only spent 120 on it, and considering I took it out of the plasting myself and it's in mint condition I should be able to more than recoup that loss. Thanks a lot.

PS: what info do I need? I bought the ipod at walmart, but I don't have a receipt or anything like that.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

AppleCare covers computers/displays are 3 years. For the iPhone and iPods its only 2 years. And to clarify AppleCare officially begins from the date of purchase of the unit, not from the date of purchase of the APP. If the 5 months date is correct, you're probably still within the complimentary shipping period to send it back to an Apple repair depot to have it serviced. Even if you're outside the complimentary shipping/box, I think its only $29 to send it in, or you always have the option of bringing it to a retail store location and having them arrange a swap there. Note that if its a personalized iPod, the replacement may take some additional time because they can't re-engrave the replacement at the store.

P.S. Just read your second post. If you registered your iPod the first time you connected it to a computer you should be ok. Just to make sure its at least squared away as far as the 1 yr warranty is concerned, go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
    The retail store will probably only check serial number to verify you're within the 1 yr and there are no signs of damage.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Ah, I stand corrected, I never knew it was different between Macs and iPods. Thanks! :)

To the OP, if you have an Apple Store near you I'd recommend taking it in there. It doesn't matter if you didn't buy it there, all they'll do is make sure there's no obvious damage (ie: dents, water, etc) and type in your serial number, will see it's under warranty and then give you your options (service, replacement)...after all, Apple still gets money for the device no matter where it's bought.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can check the warranty status yourself by entering your serial number here.