Getting a US educational discount from the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anotherarunan, Nov 22, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a friend going over to the US in Jan...and was wondering is if theres any way he could buy a macbookpro with my student status in the UK, and if the US apple stores give discounts in store?

2. gonz macrumors newbie

When I still was a student in Sweden, I used my Swedish student ID to buy computers with student discount both in the UK and Japan, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, since he is using your ID then I don't think they will accept it since it's not his name written on it. Buying by proxy tends not to be allowed.

You can try though.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'm going to NYC in the new year... I'd be very happy if I could use my student discount there.

So, can an international student use their discount in the US? Or do you have to be at a US university?

In that case, any students in New York want to help me out? :)

4. cvahl macrumors member

In Boston, they did not accept neither the ID from my university in Berlin nor my international student id (ISEC). They told me that this would be a general rule for all stores.
    If you should stay longer and should be able to wait for the shipment, you could register your isec-id at the isec website, than you'll be able to get 10% off in the online store through that website. That's all as far as I know...

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

All very well and good, but where on earth to ship it to?? :(