Getting a USB Mouse to Work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aea, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Okay, quick question. I have a cheap creative USB mouse which I bought, probably four years ago and it has been perfect for me so far. I can use it in XP, but when I'm in OSX I don't know how to add it, it's not auto-detected, but the laser comes on (pulses), I'd really love to know how to get this thing to work.

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

You don't have to add it to get it to work. It just should. Does it work on another computer? Could it be that you are drawing more current from the usb port - they can only take 500ma each.

Other than those 2 options, you can always try USB Overdrive. It can make lots of stuff work11

aussie_geek

3. Aea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aea

Yes it works, on this same machine, when it's booted into windows :eek:

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It should definitely just work, I have never had any problem with mice.

5. Aea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aea

Is there any way to force it to try and look for it, without forking out money for that program?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It really should just work, unless the mouse has more complex actions than left/right click and scrolling, you could try and find drivers from the manufacturers website if it doesn't "just work" otherwise I guess the mouse has some weirdness which means the default drivers don't work and your probably going to have to buy a new mouse.

7. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

It sounds kinda old to work with OS X... maybe it isn't compatible with Mac... Unless you find some sort of driver I don't think it will work...

The Stig

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have used a selection of different usb mice some three or four years old and never experience any problems with any of them .. :)

9. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I kept using my five year old USB mouse when I got my MBP a month or two ago, and it worked fine on plug in. It isn't anything special, but it's definitely old in the world of computer equipment.