getting a verizon iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportsfan1234, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

i'ma newb. never had a smart phone before. i want to get the verizon iphone 4g that just came out. I was going to wait for the iPhone 5 to come out, but I heard it prob won't be released until sept/oct and verizon will end its unlimited data plan this summer before iphone 5 is released. bottom line is i want the grandfather clause for unlimited data so I see no sense in waiting....can you please tell me....

1) is there any truth to those reports listed above?
    2) should i get the 16g or 32g. im leaning towards the 32 g. but is it really worth it ?

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

1) That's the word from the campfire. "Sources" have said it will move to tiered over the summer. For most people that won't be a big deal, but for heavy data users... yeah probably a good idea to get in on unlimited data early.

2) It's all dependent on your personal use. Because I always have my phone with me I have more apps on it than my iPad so I went w/ the 32GB model since I'm constantly using it for video/pics, apps, etc. Plus I put more music on it than other devices since I constantly listen to it via my car's AUX jack.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

4. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

does the iphone 4 for verizon have the same dropped call problem that the one for AT&T had ? was that problem with the phone itself or the network ? That is the only thing keeping me from possibly holding out for the iphone 5, but like i said, i want the grandfather clause and don't know when the iphone 5 will be released...

5. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

The dropped call thing was fairly exaggerated by the media, but it exists on any phone on any carrier. The iPhone being so popular is, of course, going to get a higher exposure because it's got such a huge base.

Most dropped calls are the local network more than anything else. Every carrier and tech has dead spots, etc, and some more than others.

I can say two things on the Verizon side of it.

#1. I bought mine on the first online launch night, and I've had 0 dropped calls so far. I've had data drop 3g in a tunnel once, but I haven't dropped a call yet. I'm in a VERY big Verizon area, though.

#2. My co-worker has an ATT iPhone 4 and he states that in his PERSONAL experience his dropped calls occur in pretty specific places which points towards ATT dead spots more than the phone itself.

A recent study I saw online, probably on MR's news section, stated that Verizon has about 1/2 the dropped calls (well just under half) of ATT "overall" (ie. Not iPhone specific). So take that part w/ a grain of salt.

So it's all going to be dependent on your local carrier, their coverage, etc. I'd look more into that by checking some cell regional sites forums (like HoFo, etc) or just know your local experience.

6. Bonds79, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

Bonds79 macrumors 6502

GET THE GRANDFATHERED INTO UNLIMITED DATA ASAP!
    Carriers like VZW and att really don't have a way of telling the difference between 4G and 3G data, they just see it as DATA, also non of the 4G devices have a stock flip switch to turn off / on 4G data. For Example the VZW ThunderBolt 4G LTE and the VZW Droid Charge 4G LTE, these phones has no stock default way to turn on off 4G data, so VZW can never tier your 4G data while leaving your 3G data unlimited. VZW sees data as data whether it is 4G or 3G, they cant tell, SO with this thought once you are unlimited, you will be unlimited no matter what type of data you receive, so to further that thought, get grandfathered into 3G data now and you will have unlimited 4G data when the VZW 4G LTE iphone arrives in a year or two.

7. eye4ni macrumors member

Never thought of it this way, but you make an excellent point!

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

My experience:

Streaming 1 full movie on Netflix on 3G - approximately 500MB of data.
    Average of 40-50 emails a day - approx. 100MB of data (I get a lot of attachments for my work use)
    Browsing and blah blah blah - idk say 100 for the heck of it.

In a month that is at least 700MB just from that use...you might want to be grandfathered in now.

Dropped calls: Had ATT - approx. 2 dropped calls a day (no kidding). Got verizon (no dropped calls till now - again no kidding). This highly depends on your location though.

9. hb13 macrumors newbie

Just picked up a Verizon iPhone for the exact reasons of the OP. If I find that I'm using less and would be a better fit for one of their new tiered plans, I'll just switch over, but at least now I'll have the option.

10. herkyMD macrumors newbie

If you really want the unlimited data and can hold out for the iphone5, as no matter what happens it will be a step up from the iphone4 (how big of a step? we'll have to wait and find out), you can get a $50 smartphone OFF-CONTRACT and activate it on verizon for the unlimited data and then be grandfathered in when the iphone5 comes out.

www.bensoutlet.com has many brand new palm pixi pluses for $49.99 without a contract. (NO CONTRACT, i.e. you save your upgrade for later) I bought a palm pixi plus off of ebay for $60 in february and have been patiently waiting for the iphone 5 since i was elligible for upgrade last november.

I'm sure someone on here will call me crazy but i couldn't justify buying an iphone4 over halfway into a new product cycle. Especially knowing that I would be pissed at myself for not waiting for the iphone5.

Pixi is a pretty cool little phone and webOS is pretty solid. It can be overclocked so it's actually usable without any tech savvy whatsoever. Seriously, I would recommend this to anyone who wants to wait and see what apple has up there sleeve come june/september

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Good point but you forgot about one big thing. Verizon "may" force you to a 4g plan just like ATT did when going from the iPhone 2g to the iPhone 3g. ALL users had to get the the 3g unlimited plan even though some wanted to keep the 2g unlimited plan which included texting but could not do it. This may be the same thing they do going to 4g. If you buy a 4g phone you would be required to get one of the 4g plans which most likely will be tiered. I wouldn't worry about this for the iPhone 5 because all indications so far are point to it to be a 3g phone.

12. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

VZW is not forcing current LTE 4G customers into a different 4g plan, they are just giving 3G customers and LTE 4G customers: all unlimited data for 29.99

13. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I bought an iPhone 4 from Verizon less than a week ago. I have a late 2010 Mac Mini and I love my iPhone so much more! lol. It's basically a portable Mac without a word processor. I was going to wait for the iPhone 5 until hearing it was coming out Sept/Oct if not later. I needed a new phone and was not going to wait 5+ months for something new. Plus Apple has even said the iPhone 5 will not be on Verizon's 4G LTE so how much different can the 5 be from 4? A little faster processor..? Oh boy.. I really need Angry Birds to load 2 x's faster!!! ..NOT!

I heard they might get rid of the Unlimited Plan as soon as next month. So I hopped on the caboose of the iPhone 4 party and got grandfathered in to the unlimited plan. IMO I think you should do the same. I honestly think you won't regret it.

I bought the 16GB... downloaded 20apps.. dumped 8 albums on it.. 30 pictures and I still have around 13-14GB left.