Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hello,
Well I am asking this on behalf of my sis whom is going for her Europe trip really soon. She is getting a video camcorder, the Canon Vixia HF200 and was wondering what SD Card she should get.

My friend recommended me this:
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 32GB Card

and as I was looking around, I stumbled with this:
SanDisk SDSDHV-016G-A15 16GB Video HD SDHC Card (Black)

Now the Video HD is 16GB, but she can get 2 of those and still be cheaper then the 32GB. So it makes me wonder, whats the difference between a normal SDHC card and a video SDHC card?

I'm a photographer so I don't know much bout video, care to shed some light on this matter?

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
all I know is that because it's video, you need a higher write rate. So the speed must be higher. So the higher the speed, the higher the price. But bouth are okay to use with cams.

But I see just now they are both from sandisk, so it is a little bit weird, But I suspect that it's because it's faster, and more memory in one piece.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I doubt there's a difference; Likely a marketing thing. I've used a number of the Transcend Class 6 16GB cards as well as a Class 4 32GB Patriot SDHC card without a problem. I see now that the Transcend Class 6 32GB card is now widely available. I can only speak for the Panasonic HMC150, but it recommended at least a Class 4 card to record at the highest bitrate.

The 32GB card has its uses, especially in long form recording, but the 16GB cards are priced very reasonably and you're able to spread your risk over a greater number of cards.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
The price for the Class 6 16GB cards(Transcend) are so affordable that it's better off to get a Class 6 card, but to say that Class 4 cards can't be used is false. Even Canon states that if you want to record at the highest bitrate to use at least a Class 4 card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.