Getting a windows external hard drive to work with mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rchip, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rchip macrumors regular

Hello guys, I'd appreciate your help so I don't need to buy a new external hard drive!

I have a Goflex 500gb external hard drive that I used with my old Windows PC, it has about 100gb of data that I want to keep from my windows PC, just videos, music, documents etc.

I want to install Mountain Lion on my Macbook Air 2011, however, I want to make a backup of my data on my mac before hand incase it goes wrong. OSX wont let me use this hard drive at the moment, I think because it's formatted for Windows?

I'm not the greatest with computers, I've not used any kind of cloud storage services as of yet.

Can anyone think of a solution, how I could still keep this data that I have on my hard drive and still back up my mac using Time Machine with this hard drive?

Money is a bit tight at the moment so I could do without buying another external hard drive, although it is something I'd like to do down the road for extra security!

Thanks a lot.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could use NTFS-3G or Macfuse to read it on the Mac. I don't know if either of those have been updated for ML, but I'm also not sure if you're using ML.

3. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for response! Sorry should have made that more clear, I'm running Lion at the moment and I'm going to upgrade to Mountain Lion but I want to backup my data before hand. I will check out those programs you mentioned now!

4. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, I've just downloaded NFTS and it looks like it's just what I need!

5. rchip thread starter macrumors regular

It's working in the sense I can now transfer files over from my mac to this hard drive, but it wont work with time machine saying the drive is the incorrect format. Oh well, at least I can manually back it up now though so thanks very much for your help. Unless anyone has a way I could get it work with time machine?

Edit

Oh! From reading online, it seems I could partition the hard drive into a windows part and a mac part? Is this possible?