Getting a Zune 2 (yes yes i know)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazycat, Oct 16, 2007.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would like to know if it is worth getting a zune just to discover new music. I rather pay a monthly payment and download as many songs as i can and see what i like and keep them. The main reason i dont buy songs on itunes is that i dont know what i will like and what i wont. Lets say i liked something on the social (cant believe they call it that) then i would download in itunes and use it with my itunes.

Is it worth it?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Why not a Zune 1 then its going to be cheaper.

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm surprised they still make Zunes. :eek:

Though I agree with you about the iTunes problem, not knowing if you'll like the song. A lot of times those little 30 second clips don't really give a good idea about the song. There's been plenty of times the little clip was appealing, but then I didn't like the entire song at all.

4. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

5. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

They are not, i will using it with Bootcamp or on my gaming PC.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Does it really make sense to spend a few hundred dollars on a player, plus monthly fees to rent music, just to save wasting a few bucks on tracks you don't like? You can discover new music on the internet or, if you're lucky, the radio.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd rather spend the money on a satellite radio and subscription.

8. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

A Zune 8 GB costs $199.99, a year subsection costs $179.88 which is $466.99. Thats is equal to about 52 CD's from itunes. The point i am trying to make is that i want to download music that i can listen to and see if i like then pay for them. I dont like to torrent music since i never get good quality and it is a hassle.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Also note that the library on the social is not nearly as extensive as the iTMS.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

emusic? last.fm? satelite radio?

Not being anti-zune here, but there are plenty of ways to listen/find new music without buying a new player.

EDIT: Another thought. If renting the music is your thing Napster's giving away free (albeit not very good) mp3 players with year subcription ($180).

11. czeluff macrumors 6502

watch

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-rDtZznB8

take a look at this video. Not only is it hilarious, but they argue some very valid points about the problems in the "social marketplace" where you buy music.

If the problems listed don't matter to you, then just make sure you enjoy the Zune interface. If you do, then enjoy your Zune.

cz

p.s. email me czeluff@gmail.com id be interested to hear your latest thoughts crazykat.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If by social you mean the sharing feature between Zunes I would find that you will never be trying out songs from someone else's Zune unless well...you and a friend bought Zunes together.
    Tons of my friends have iPods and we never even look at each others playlist.
    iTunes does give you 30 second previews so you should at least be able to figure out if you will like it.
    Otherwise the Zune is okay but I think it's a complete waste to have a Mac computer and have to use it only on Windows. At least the iPod speaks to Mac and Windows.

13. Zune macrumors newbie

Cheers to crazycat

Long live Zune converts. :D

Just follow the light, it will lead you to the big social in the sky.

14. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

15. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

You mean: long live Zune convert (singular)

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The sad thing is someone created a profile just to post that one message.

17. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

18. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Best advice! I discovered so much music through Pandora that I actually have too many albums now. :D

20. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for most listeners located outside of the U.S.

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think Woot and Buy.com have the Zune 1 for $100. Microsoft has announced that it will offer a free firmware upgrade to the latest Zune O/S for Zune 1 customers.

22. cube macrumors G4

To discover new music, why don't you just subscribe to some podcasts of the music category in iTunes (the real music podcasts, not those stuffed with talk)?
    There's more stuff than what one can handle.
    You don't even need an iPod. A phone that is seen as mass storage through USB and SyncTunes are enough. Some can even play unprotected AAC.

23. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I'm thinking about a Zune 2 purchase as well, but not for the audio store (though it will be DRM-free). The Zune 2 has some great video features. There are plans to release TV show subscriptions to sync with a 80GB Zune 2 for watching on-the-go. And why on Earth would you buy a TV show from the iTunes store only to watch it maybe twice?? A subscription model makes so much more sense to me.

Secondly, with Windows Media Center you can record shows for playback. Integration between the new Zune firmware and the WMC will let you download those recorded shows (unpurchased! Just recorded from your DVR!) to a Zune 2 to watch while mobile.

And then there's the other advantages like radio and WiFi syncing. If Apple would step up its video offerings instead of the stupid buying-only model I would get a Touch and be done with it. But since Apple TV, iTunes store and the Touch don't offer the integration that a Windows system will have, I'm going to build a Windows Media Center PC, use that to record shows/have movies ripped and ready to go, and get a Zune 2 to tie it altogether in a mobile platform.

Apple needs to get its Shiite together because its missing a big chunk of the pie when it comes to audio/video consumerism.

[Flip side: no library yet exists for these TV shows for Zune, the battery life on the Zune 2 is less than a Touch, the Touch arguably has a better interface]

24. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

For TV shows i agree the a monthly payment is better, i never watched a show more then once on itunes. I am also a huge DVD collector so i normally buy the shows when they are released.

I like to own my music on the other hand, and i much prefer the itunes model it is just that i want to discover new music and the zune offers a much better choice for that. I will still rip the cd's that i buy from a normal store or from itunes.