Getting access to the classified section without spamming

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Capt Crunch, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Hello,

As you can see, I've had this account for a long time, but my post count is lacking. I'd like to potentially buy a mac and sell my mac. Is it possible for a mod to grant me access with me having to post a bunch? I can provide references.

Wuv,

Crunch

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Don't hold your breath. The rules are there for a reason.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is no favoritism, everyone has to play by the rules.

4. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

The posting rules are there to encourage users to become members of the MacRumors community and prevent people from joining simply to place an ad and wait for the PMs to come rolling in.

More importantly, it helps to protect MR regulars from people who might register here to sell high-value goods with the intent of scamming money out of the good folks here. Scammers aren't likely to invest the time and effort in building up a post count simply for that purpose (they'll simply find another forum with more lax marketplace rules).

The rules are there for your protection, not to piss you off.

In the OP's case, maybe it's time to start contributing a bit more here and share the knowledge that you've accumulated in your 8 years on MacRumors.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not a mod any more, so don't take my word as the final say.

However, to my knowledge, there are no exceptions.

If you start letting one person through that doesn't fit the rules, it's a slippery slope justifying why you let x in, but won't let y in, etc.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm actually glad that there are no exceptions to this, however there is one work-around. As noted in this thread, you can put an ebay (or other) link into your signature which points to an off-site sale.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

edesignuk is correct. The only fair way to enforce the eligibility rule, which was designed for the benefit of our overall membership, is for us to apply it equally to all members.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You have less than 100 to go before you get access to it.

If there was like a 1.5 year rule that overrides the marketplace 250 post count rule I would have had marketplace access with 4 posts. I signed up and posted in 1 thread and left for 2 years except asking for help (and that was only 3 posts).

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty sure it doesn't help if half a person's posts are deleted either. Just saying.

I also think you'll find a way to sell your item on MR if you put it on eBay, link to eBay, wait for someone to PM you about it and deal with it that way. It was recently discussed that eBay links in sigs are ok no matter the post count or length of time at a site.

10. Capt Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been scammed on ebay before. I like the idea of a community classifieds section because people have reputations to maintain.

I guess I'll just try to be really really active.

Thanks everyone.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you missed my point or round-about way of getting what you need.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Letting you in early would sort of defeat the idea of you having a reputation to maintain.

So basically, you are talking the mods out of letting you slip by early. :p