Getting airport express to send out unique ip addresses?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by apattee, Jul 1, 2010.

1. apattee macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm not sure of the technical lingo, but I'd like my Airport Express to give unique ip addresses to all devices that are using the internet. Right now, all three computers in my house have the same ip and I'm wondering how I can change that. If it matters, the IP addresses start with 10.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if all 3 of your computers have exactly the same IP, your network wouldn't function. The last of the four numbers should be different on each computer (so 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.95) If they really are the same, chances are you've set up static IPs in the settings on each computer, so you'll need to go to each computer and change that.

What exactly are you trying to do?

You want the express to get 1 IP from your modem , and then each computer on your network gets a separate IP.

Anything that starts with "10." or "192.168." is not able to be routed over the internet, which is what you want for security reasons to keep your internal traffic, internal.

Are you are trying to set up a web server or something like that? you need to go into the advanced settings on the express, and set up port mapping. that will take any traffic that comes in on the main connection on a particular port (like 80 for web) and redirect it to a specific computer.

You can set the express up to give each computer an IP from your internet provider, but i wouldn't recommend that for security reasons, and your ISP might charge extra for the extra IPs.

3. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

I specifically want to be able to access my home computer from work. So in order to do that (and screen share) I need to have a unique ip address on my home computer.

I can't figure out how to do it....

I also want people who come on over to the house to be able to connect as well.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

your computer has a unique ip, otherwise your network wouldn't work. but you're sharing one external IP. you need to forward the correct ports to the computer you want to access.

You really don't want each computer to have it's own external IP, For security reasons, even though you are on a mac it's not the way to do things.

I would suggest you use mobile Me, it is a paid service, but will set everything up like you want. You want to look at "back to my mac"

as far as...
    just give them your wireless password, and they should be able to connect.

5. cube macrumors G5

To have more than one and fixed routable IP address they have to be assigned by your ISP, for a fee, and if your contract allows it.