Getting an ACD tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ohla313, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I've been wanting an Apple Cinema Display for so long and tomorrow I will finally be going to my local Apple Store to pick up the 27" ACD, not the Thunderbolt. I don't have a Thunderbolt capable Mac and when I do upgrade, I can still use the display so why not.

I was told before that I can apply my AppleCare that is on my MBP to the ACD. How would I go about getting this done? What do I need to bring with me when I go to the store tomorrow? Is there anything I need to know prior to purchasing this?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Call AppleCare and give them the serial for your display, and they will attach it to the MBP policy.

IMO, though, if you have a recent Mac, I'd sell it on craigslist and make up the difference to get a TB enabled Mac and TB enabled display.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Nope. Once you've bought the Display, I would call 1-800-APL-CARE to make sure that they tie the display's serial number to your AppleCare agreement.

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Thanks Jayhawk11 and Jenzjen for the info!

I currently use a mid-2010 13" MBP with 8GB RAM and a 2.66 C2D processor. i was thinking of selling this and getting the newer model but I heard of a redesign in 2012 so I rather wait. If I were to get anything currently, it would be the MBA since it was recently refreshed. However I use FW and my SuperDrive a lot so I don't think I can use it as a serious machine.

I don't really see what the TB Display has over the ACD since my MBP has all the ports and I don't need those extra ports. The TB Display and the ACD are basically the same except for the ports anyways.

5. JulesK macrumors 6502

May want to call Apple first

I recently purchased a MBA and a 24" ACD refurb (along with a SuperDrive). I called the AppleCare desk, and what they told me was that they all had to have been purchased within 30 days of each other to be covered under the AppleCare plan that I picked up for the MBA. That wasn't an issue for me, and I have no idea whether they enforce that rule. Anyway, enjoy the ACD. I love mine, and it works fine with my 2011 MBA (no flickering issues at all). Just one dead pixel, however. :(

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

TB display will also not work with PCs or other devices. I also went out and bought the 27 Cinema when I learned this, as I wanted to use the display with my TB MBP and gaming PC

7. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Well I just called Apple Care and they told me I can attach my AppleCare warranty from my MBP to the ACD. He says I can do this at the store too to make sure. Maybe you weren't able to since it was a refurb?

----------

awesome. ok that does it. I will be getting the ACD and I figure if I do get a TB-capable Mac, I can just get those Thunderbolt hubs and attach the display. Rather buy something more stable at the point.

8. JulesK macrumors 6502

I didn't (or, I should say, don't expect to) have a problem, because the guy over the phone checked my Apple account and said no problem attaching the ACD to my MBA AppleCare plan, since they were all purchased within 30 days of each other, all from Apple (so he could see the purchases in the system). I ordered the Applecare directly from Apple since I get a discount through my employer; it hasn't arrived yet. (To me, this is silly. They should just register you on the spot. All I'm getting is a box with a number on a piece of paper.) If it weren't for the discount and the fact that I cover both the computer and the monitor for the price of the AppleCare for the computer alone, not sure I would have done it. I've purchased AppleCare for 3 different MacBook Pros over the years, and never needed any of them. Hopefully, in about two years, after they come out with Thunderbolt Display v.2, my ACD will go!

9. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I got my display yesterday and my girlfriend picked up a MBA as well. We got the AppleCare so would I be able to call AppleCare and have them cover the ACD from the MBA warranty? I checked online and the AC is on the MBA but the ACD only has 1 year warranty right now.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did you not read post #2 nor what you found out yourself in post #7? Call Apple.

11. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

oops. Sorry! well my real question is how can I extend the life of my display? Such as what screensaver and sleep settings should I put it as to make sure it doesn't get any dead pixels or blotches?

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

..just use it. The only way to guarantee no future defects is to leave it packed up in the box.

The LED backlight displays don't dim over time, like the CCFL ACDs of old, which is a major plus.

13. zhaofa90 macrumors newbie

honestly, you're worrying way too much about this. Just use the display and you most likely won't have any problems with it for years to come. Enjoy the new display

14. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Yea I figure I should. I was just worried before because I bought a second hand ACD and it developed blotches after I used it for a long time. But then again this was the aluminum ones from 2005...I'll try to remember I bought brand new this time

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

The ACD displays are starting to go for much lower prices now that the TB display is shipping. I think the Apple Store still charges the same price as the TB display. So why wouldn't you either buy the TB display or buy the ACD somewhere else?

16. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I don't own a TB enabled Mac and I wanted to be able to apply the AC from my new MBA to it as well. It is less hassle to do it through Apple.