Resolved getting an error trying to assign NSDictionary Values to UITableViewCell Textlabel

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by webznz, Sep 22, 2011.

1. webznz, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

webznz macrumors member

Hey guys, I have been working on trying to make a Indexed UItableView for fast scrolling.. With lots of reading and help from different resources on the net I have everything (apart from one small error) set up.

I am creating the correct number of sections with the correct index to the right of the screen it is also scrollable however I have one error.. I cannot output the values in my NSDictionary without throwing an error.

Below I will show you where I am creating my dictionary then i will show you the tableview:cellForRowAtIndexPath method where I am trying to set the UITableViewCell TextLabel.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
    //method to sort array and split for use with uitableview Index
    - (IBAction)startSortingTheArray:(NSMutableArray *)arrayData
    {
        //Sort incoming array alphabetically
        sortedArray = [arrayData sortedArrayUsingSelector:@selector(localizedCaseInsensitiveCompare:)];
        //NSLog(@"%@",sortedArray);

// Dictionary will hold our sub-arrays
        self.arraysByLetter = [NSMutableDictionary dictionary];
        //arraysByLetter = [NSMutableDictionary dictionary];
        sectionLetters = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];
        // Iterate over all the values in our sorted array
        for (NSString *value in sortedArray) {

// Get the first letter and its associated array from the dictionary.
            // If the dictionary does not exist create one and associate it with the letter.
            NSString *firstLetter = [value substringWithRange:NSMakeRange(0, 1)];
            NSMutableArray *arrayForLetter = [arraysByLetter objectForKey:firstLetter];
            if (arrayForLetter == nil) {
                arrayForLetter = [NSMutableArray array];
                [arraysByLetter setObject:arrayForLetter forKey:firstLetter];
                [sectionLetters addObject:firstLetter]; // This will be used to set index and section titles
            }

// Add the value to the array for this letter
            [arrayForLetter addObject:value];
        }
        // arraysByLetter will contain the result you expect
        NSLog(@"Dictionary: %@", arraysByLetter); //This prints what is currently in the NSDictionary

//Reloads data in table
        [self.tableView reloadData];
    }
    With [sellf.tableView reloadData] it reload all the tableview delegates, then the method where I try to set the UITableViewCells up is called like so.

Code:
    - (UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
    {
        static NSString *CellIdentifier = @"Cell";

UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
        if (cell == nil) {
            cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc] initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:CellIdentifier] autorelease];
        } 

cell.accessoryType = UITableViewCellAccessoryNone; //make sure their are no tickes in the tableview 
        cell.selectionStyle = UITableViewCellSelectionStyleNone; // no blue selection

// Configure the cell...
        if(indexPath.row < [self.arraysByLetter count]){

NSString *value = [self.arraysByLetter objectForKey:[self.sectionLetters objectAtIndex:indexPath.row]]; //<<error happen here.
            NSLog(@"thingy %@", value); //<<check below for output of this NSLog

cell.textLabel.text = value;
       }
        return cell;
    }
    This is the output of the NSLog inside the if statment where I am tyring to set the textlabel.

Code:
    2011-09-23 11:33:20.055 instaCode[9161:207] thingy (
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda
    )

HOWEVER! if I comment out
    Code:
    //cell.textLabel.text = value;
    This is the output I recive

Code:
    2011-09-23 13:16:06.757 iCode[12438:207] thingy (
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda
    )
    2011-09-23 13:16:06.760 iCode[12438:207] thingy (
        Mazda,
        Mazda,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi
    )
    2011-09-23 13:16:06.761 iCode[12438:207] thingy (
        Nissan,
        Nissan,
        Nissan,
        Nissan,
        Nissan,
        Nissan,
        Nissan
    )
    2011-09-23 13:16:06.762 iCode[12438:207] thingy (
        Toyota,
        Toyota,
        Toyota
    )
    2011-09-23 13:16:06.763 iCode[12438:207] thingy (
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda,
        Honda
    )
    2011-09-23 13:16:06.764 iCode[12438:207] thingy (
        Mazda,
        Mazda,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi,
        Mitsubishi
    )
    Which is the correct output.. and dose not crash.. only problem being no values appear on the textlabel obviouly..

This is the error message I am getting when that line is not commented out.

Code:
    *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSArrayM isEqualToString:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x4e326c0'
    *** Call stack at first throw:

I have pretty much tried everything I know and have read so any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Objects in the arraysByLetter dictionary are arrays (as your name suggests), but you are assigning one to an NSString.

3. webznz thread starter macrumors member

oh man.. So how would I pass each variabel of the arrays into a string for the UItableViewcell? To be honest this NSDictionary is the first I have tried to use and its got me quite confused.. I should have known that..

4. webznz thread starter macrumors member

ahh.. almost cracked it.. however the each array in the NSDictionary is print to one uitableviewcell textlabel...

Code:
    if(indexPath.row < [self.arraysByLetter count]){

//NSArray *value = [self.arraysByLetter objectForKey:[self.sectionLetters objectAtIndex:indexPath.row]];
            NSArray *keys = [self.arraysByLetter objectForKey:[self.sectionLetters objectAtIndex:indexPath.row]];
            NSString *key = [keys description];
            NSLog(@"thingy %@", key);

cell.textLabel.text = key;
       }

5. webznz thread starter macrumors member

Okay finally got it with a little help from a friend of stack overflow..

I wasnt declaring the section correctly .. was trying to use the ifstatment todo that but thats wrong wrong wrong! my solution below.

Code:
    - (UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
    {
        static NSString *CellIdentifier = @"Cell";

UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
        if (cell == nil) {
            cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc] initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:CellIdentifier] autorelease];
        } 

cell.accessoryType = UITableViewCellAccessoryNone; //make sure their are no tickes in the tableview 
        cell.selectionStyle = UITableViewCellSelectionStyleNone; // no blue selection

// Configure the cell...

NSArray *keys = [self.arraysByLetter objectForKey:[self.sectionLetters objectAtIndex:indexPath.section]];
        NSString *key = [keys objectAtIndex:indexPath.row];
        NSLog(@"thingy %@", key);

cell.textLabel.text = key;

return cell;
    }