Getting An Ethernet Cable Into Another Room?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goftrey, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Hey,

I could quite easily buy an Airport Extreme card for my eMac for £20 ($30) so I can use Wi-Fi (Like on my Windows laptop)

OR...

whether to plug in through ethernet... If I were to try and get Ethernet in an upstairs room (my home network router is downstairs) how would I get the cable into the upstairs room? Do I get a massively long Ethernet cable and pin it up against the wall and send it all the way upstairs or do I have to go drilling holes and putting plugs in the walls etc.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to internet connectivity as I've only ever used Wi-Fi as an iPhone user. :p

Thanks for the help in advance

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Well, you'd just need to get the cable up to your room somehow, either way you mentioned will work. If you're going to buy a cat5 (ethernet), they are insanely expensive on the high street. On amazon you can get 15m for ~£2 , on the high street that would cost you way over £30.

As for Wifi (which I'd suggest) you could get a USB adaptor like this for £7. Most cheaper than an AirPort card it does support 10.5.8.

3. dubAdub macrumors member

You could try using two Ethernet over Power adapters. Each one plugs into an electrical socket in each room. An Ethernet cable goes from the adapter into the computer/router/switch.

4. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

Depending on the laws in your country running Ethernet in the walls may have to be done by a qualified technician. Here in Australia you must be AusTel certified to run ethernet.

But in saying that it is not too difficult to do if you know how your house is built or have something that can be used as a draw line.

Best bet is to find an electrician, they will be able to do it easily and quickly and shouldn't cost the earth, especially if you know someone.

Cheers,

Brett