Getting an Imac, Help Please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jupiternauta, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jupiternauta macrumors newbie

I'm starting my editing studies so I've been searching online for an Imac that would work for me. I'd rather have an 24 or 27'' screen, I don't mind to get an older model, I get very confused with those processor numbers and models. !3, !5...Can you help me please? Is NVidea or ATI better for editing? I have less then $2000. Thanks a lot!

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

Lol, no problem.

i3= low power,somewhat fast, everyday use
    i5= high power, everyday use, multitasking, fast
    i7= extreme power, heavy multitasking, everyday use, huge workloads, future proof

It pretty much goes like that. I would reccomend the i5 for you because seeing as your a student, you probably want something with power and to be a somewhat future proof. it also comes with a 27" 2560x1440 resolution screen, which is an insane resolution. the screen on the 27" imacs cost about $1000 alone

As for graphics, it goes like this: ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB, with 512MB ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB, and ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB. Those are offered on the current imacs, with the ATI Radeon HD 5750 being the most powerful graphics card offered with the iMac.

I would really recommend looking at the refurbished store. Now you hear the words "refurbished" and you think used. Not true at all. Most of the refurbished section is just things returned within 14 days and they go through rigorous testing processes at Apple, with the keyboard being replaced, the mouse being replaced, and the whole aluminum outer shell of the iMac replaced.

If you put a refurbished iMac next to a new one, you couldn't tell the difference. I have a refurbished iMac and I would only buy refurbished macs now because they are just like new.

If I were you though, I would wait. The iMacs are at the end of their update cycle, meaning that new models are coming out very soon and they will probably have a better graphics card.

3. jupiternauta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for your fast reply!

4. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

Also be aware there is a dual core and a quad core i5 available for iMac.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah the i5 is definitely a good buy, and the 27" is such a pleasure to use! But yeah, definitely consider the quad-core version, it's quite a bit more powerful and will be a lot more future-proof! [​IMG]