Getting an iPad 2 today..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Knifey-Spoony, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Knifey-Spoony macrumors member

However I'm still indecisive whether to get in white or black. Are there any benefits in getting white over black or black over white. Or is it just personal preference?
    Thanks

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

The only thing I can add is that the white seems to show less fingerprints around the bezel. Of course on the flip side, the white bezel could be distracting to some.

3. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

It's just personal preference. The white version doesn't show, however, that many fingerprints. It is also false that it gets dirty quicker.

4. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

I like the look of the white iPad 2 more but I heard that the black one is better for view content like videos. Any comment on this?
    Thanks

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Take a look at the above video that was posted. The video and article go over your question.

6. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

After taking a look at the link above ... looks like the black one will be better for viewing content. It's true the white bezel takes you out of the experience. =(

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Personally, that's why I grabbed a black one. I was too used to my iPhone 3G and 4's black screens.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

hey kid! this is a knife!

no it's not, it's a spoon.

oh, I see you've played knifey-spoony before!

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've never owned a white TV. That makes sense to me.

I didn't see any reason to start with my iPad.

10. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

Getting the white iPad was the biggest regret I had; if u just browse then go for it but movies were so distracting.

I wanted to smash the white iPad 2

So much trouble getting my black but I'm happy

11. Knifey-Spoony thread starter macrumors member

Damn I really like the look of the white iPad 2 but if it's going to be really distracting, I guess I'll have no choice but to get the black one. Are there any benefits to getting the white one besides the possibility of seeing less fingerprints?
    Thanks

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

It's all down to personal preference. I have a black original iPad and when the iPad 2 was announced I was set on getting a black one and even pre-ordered one on Apple's site on the day of release. In the end I went for a white one and couldn't be happier. I don't find it at all distracting and prefer the white over the black especially as the majority of iPads and all non Apple tablets are black or a variation of it.

13. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just play with them before you buy it. Test out a YouTube video or something in the store. I ordered a white one because I like white devices. Always have.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm with you on this - I really like the look of the white iPad, but I'm sure I'd find it distracting in use. It's slightly academic for me at the moment as I'm still hoping to keep hold of my iPad1 until the 3 comes out (hopefully it won't be too long :) )

15. slicecom macrumors 68020

I liked the look of the white one, but after using it for a couple days, realized I greatly preferred the black bezel of my iPad 1, so I returned it and bought a black bezeled iPad 2. I definitely made the right choice for me.

16. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Seriously, if you find a white surround distracts you from watching something like a movie or a youtube clip, I'd suggest the issue is deeper than you think and is linked to attention span.

IMHO it's purely a matter of personal taste and nothing more.....Certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over.

17. Webb macrumors regular

Webb

18. mcmacmike macrumors member

19. reactions macrumors 6502

reactions

well that's a baseless comment if i ever heard one :rolleyes:

look i travel a lot - fly every other week - so i'm in the dark on a plane watching movies. Guess what? that white border almost glows when watching movies. It is distracting. Now reading books and browsing - white is nice :) look i've owned both and i really wanted the white to work but
    i could not get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

white is clean - but then sometimes it looked cheap; anyways i'm glad you are happy.

^^ absolutely - go to the store and play with both!!!!!!!!!!!

i wanted to be cool and be different and get the white ipad 2- (i got it on launch day) - u know what someone asked? is that the ipad 1? seriously?! there was no white ipad 1 :p

the benefits of the white are that you will be cool. and people should - i say SHOULD - know that u have the newer ipad 2 and then they'll want to play with it. :cool:

oh and you'll have more sex

20. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

After owning a black iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4, I opted for a white iPad and couldn't be happier!!

For me, it doesn't take away from my Netflix experience or other videos.

I just wish it was white all around, like the iPhone 4! :eek:

21. bufffilm, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

it's entirely a personal preference. i actually think it looks more chic in white...more crisp. i don't buy in the notion that some have posted the black is 'better' if you use it more for movie-watching and the white is better if you use it for a ebook reader/web browser.

but i chose black for a number of reasons...one of the considerations being that the black tends to draw less attention in public and when using the ipad in the nyc train system, the less attention you draw to yourself, the better.

it wasn't that long ago that ipods were being ripped off people...that rarely happens anymore since they've become so common. it's going to take a while before tablets become as ubiquitous as ipods.

22. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

I picked up a white one because after having all black iPhones, I wanted a change and plus I thought the white iPad looked pretty cool. In the couple hours I've used the thing, I have absolutely no regrets.

23. ben173 macrumors regular

the only downside of the white mine turned kinda yellowish

24. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

That sucks :\

Do you use a case or any type of front/back protectors?