Getting an iPad in Honolulu today?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MattDell, Mar 11, 2011.

1. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

Anyone else out there trying to score a new iPad today? My gf works at Ala Moana mall and it's apparently closed because of the tsunami. Anyone know about Kahala? Or Waikiki?

I need to strategize here. I have a trip to Australia next week that I desperately want an iPad for!

2. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

3. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Hawaii News Now reported that Ala Moana Mall is going to be open today! I'm gonna head down there around 3pm to get me a 64gb iPad 2 (Black).

4. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

No. :confused:

I just called Kahala and they have 20-25 people in line. They said Ala Moana store is opening, too! Not sure if I should just go queue now or if that's too ridiculous. I've already taken off work so not much else to do today.

5. the-insider macrumors newbie

people going to kahala and Ala Moana post the line size. Won't be able to get out of work until 4pm

6. orangecrushv macrumors regular

I heard they were expecting a huge wave of customers later today...

7. nmills macrumors regular

Not cool, man. Not cool

8. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Destroyed.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

*groan* :D

I'm just glad my family that lives on the North Shore is safe. They're back home now and just exhausted from having been awake all night.

10. Physicsdummy macrumors newbie

Zing!

11. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on going to Ala Moana, and probably line up at about 3pm. Hopefully they won't run out of the 64gb iPad Black since it's more on the high end side.

12. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

I'm going to head to Ala Moana now and see what it's like. Got a bag full of books & magazines to keep me occupied (and justify sitting in line).

I'll try to update what the line is like when I get there! :cool:

13. the-insider macrumors newbie

can u post how the lines r

damn ur traveling from London UK to Honolulu to get an iPad :p

14. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

my ex gf is near Waikiki, I texted her to get me an ipad2 lol..she was mad: she wrote back "is that all you ever think about F**( YOU"

15. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Just called the Ala Moana location, they said theres about 20+ people already in line. I'll leave about 2:30pm.

16. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok, I'm in line!

There are about 30 people in line. Every 2-3 minutes another person or couple shows up. It is inevitable this line will get long!

There are two lines: one in front of the apple store where the benches are and then there is a supplemental line next to Macy's. I wasn't able to make it in the first line.

There are 8 of us in the supplemental line and 2 kids in strollers. The parents already asked if they "count as people" so they can buy 2 for them!

The Apple employee just said "this is already crazy!" and I agree with him.

17. Alicia1 macrumors regular

How many in the line now? I am trying to decide if I should line up at the Ala Moana store or the waikiki store as I am staying at the Outrigger Waikiki.

18. No ice please macrumors 6502

Good sir, I love you.

19. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are around 30 still, but because about 10 people left and 10 more have gotten in line.

I would suggest Waikiki honestly. It gets hit much less hard than Ala Moana. I'm only here because I live a block away.

20. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Feel free to keep posting updates, I'm gonna head there about 2pm.

21. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

It seems to have calmed down a bit from earlier.

People are definitely hovering around and deciding to come back later. I've been bumped up to the first line in front of the store. There is probably 35 - 40 people now but I'm thinking it will hold off until 1 - 2.

I'll keep you updated! (not much else to do :p)

22. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Alright thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to score me an iPad by tonight!

23. MattDell thread starter macrumors 6502

MattDell

Ok, it's 1:00 and we've had a surge. Probably 75-80 people in line. I can no longer see the end of the line so c'mon down if you want an iPad!

I don't know if this means anything or not, though, but an employee I was just talking to says he plans on "getting in line" to buy one after his shift. His shift ends at 10 pm. He seemed pretty enthusiastic that he'll get one. Claims he hasn't seen the supply yet, but who really knows.

Hope everyone gets one today that wants one!

24. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

store's open for another 45 minutes to the public before closing to get ready for the ipad2.

the line is getting crazy long. i'm first in the second group, around 11th or 12th in the queue. at least the weather is amazing so no worries sitting outside.

many more people than usual since most schools closed today b/c of the tsunami and also state gov't workers are on "furlough friday". i imagine there will be a sellout of ipads today...i just wonder when.

25. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I've been here since 2:30pm, and the line is behind Macys! Need to wait another hour and a half till 5:00pm!