Getting an ipad, worth jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by sim667, Dec 14, 2010.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

Getting my first 16 GB wifi ipad tomorrow (boxed, unused, but second hand, £300 :D)

Ive had jailbroken iphones before, and mainly used stuff like lockinfo, orbz and videocamera on the iphone 3g......

Is it worth me doing when i get this ipad? Im mainly going to use it for streaming vid/music from my powermac, sticking a film or two on for the odd occasion i have to travel any long distance, checking the news/emails/forums and for VNC for my powermac too...... this is all stuff you can do un jailbroken isnt it?

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yes it is.

I used to be jail broken but lost it when I went to 4.2 and honestly I miss SBsettings but I found life without isn't bad at all.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

What you can do with the ipad is just limited by you imagination, whatever you "think" you can do now, You will be surprise what you never thought once you have it.

worth Jailbreaking it? YES, absolutely, it will give you full control to customized how it look and sound, Full access to the file system to hold your files, play unsupported Video/Audio files, Applications that make life so much easier (that are not accepted by the AppStore) Like, SBSettings, VNC, Remotes, Real multitasking, memory and data monitors, etc.

Enjoy your iPad =)

4. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I would definitely jailbreak. It is definitely worth it.

5. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Was jailbroken since launch day but with 4.2 I don't see any need for it. My iPhones is a diff matter tho, they require JB to bloody function properly whereas my iPad doesn't :cool:

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

+0.9

The only reason I'd jb my iPad again is to run iTether.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Honestly I don't even try anymore. There is some stuff I miss, but have gotten used to a vanilla iPad, especially with the latest multiple tasking and folders updates.

Seems like every jailbreak is harder and harder to find, and I find myself without one for weeks after an update. Apple is pretty dead set against it and tries very hard to keep our devices non jail broken, and it seems they are winning. The more convoluted and difficult it is to jailbreak, the longer it takes to release a jailbreak after an update, and the more features apple adds make that many more users just give up on jail breaking. I'll probably go ahead and do the next untethered jailbreak, but I feel as if my desire to jb is getting less and less.

8. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Jailbreaking is essential these days, and completely harmless.
    I have done it to every iOS device ever and not once ever ran into a problem, and even for my friends and dad's friends.
    Just read directions carefully on online websites when viewing instructions/tutorials.
    Benefits of Jailbreaking:
    -OpenSSH
    -SBSettings
    -FullForce - enable full resolution for certain apps
    -MultiFl0w - Neat interface for backgrounding
    -Backgrounder (not as necessary as before, but still useful for a few things)
    -Emulators (SNES, Genesis, MAME etc..)
    -Themes
    -DOSBox
    -NoMute for iPad - Lock iPad Screen Orientation
    -and much more..

9. pOLLYpOCKET macrumors newbie

Yes, do it!

First thing I did when I got home with my iPad was jailbreak it. It's a lot more fun when it's jailbroken.
    :D

10. sim667 thread starter macrumors 65816

Im gonna see how I get on without it for a while, when i did my 3g i became obsessed with trying to find the right orbz icons (which i dont want to happen again), and most of the stuff I want to do is available through the app store (even though its suggested in this thread its not - VNC, remotes)....

Its mainly the lockinfo ill miss........

Ill probably do it when im not being quite so precious about it, its still all shiny :D

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I always find it so interesting and funny how people can the "same" device i such a different way (I guess it make sense since we all got completely different personalities), in my case, without a file system access the iPad is a very expensive paper weight. :)