Getting an iPhone 3G...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacNoobie, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Ok so I'm ready to switch from a cruddy moto phone with a 1" color display, no camera to a iPhone 3G. I want to port my number from Sprint to which the phones died the accounts active but has 3 phones on a family plan. Went to the site and did the pre-qualification to the 3G. Turns out the number for my phones not eligible for transfer. The closest AT&T store is ~80 miles away so I've go some questions.

1. Do I need to call Sprint/AT&T before hand to ask em whats the deal with the number? (I noticed on the AT&T site that numbers in different geographical regions cant be ported).

2. How much is the deposit usually since my credit scores ok (680ish)? any quarrels with AT&T screwing up your credit from too many checks?

3. Whats a better experience (aka easier) to get a phone AT&T stores or Apple stores? (personally I've had nothing but trouble from Apple stores ranging from employee's taking absurdly long to confirm funds on hand for checks for a $50 keyboard to being ignored completely when purchasing a MacPro).

4. Any critical questions to ask about the service before leaving the store?

2. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Don't tell sprint that your switching, just go through AT&T and they will take care of it for you. I have heard that if you tell the company you are switching from they can slow up the process.

3. MacNoobie thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Makes sense I wouldnt mention anything to sprint anyways since I'm always wondering if "legally" they cant block a port etc no matter what but do anyways and blame it on a glitch.

4. MacNoobie thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Actually I did have another question if I go and get an iPhone, port the number from Sprint is there any way the voicemails associated with the phone number come as well?