Carrier Getting an iPhone 5S Verizon- 2 year or Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrf097, Jun 17, 2014.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

As much as I enjoy my Moto X, nothing in my opinion can match the quality and usability as the iPhone, which is why I've decided to switch back.

Originally I was going to hold out till the iPhone 6 was launched, but I am the kind of person who just can't wait, and realistically the only benefit I would be receiving is a larger screen, and I can live with the iPhone's 4-inch screen easily. The camera on the 5S is good and the A7 chip will no doubtedly allow it to last through the next several iOS updates with no issue, therefore waiting for the 6 really isn't something that matters or that I care about.

That said, I'm at a crossroad. Currently I have my Moto X through the Verizon Edge program. What I could do is either move my plan back to a 2 year and buy the iPhone for just $199, or continue to go on with Edge and just "Edge Up" to the iPhone for $32.45/month.

I'm having a hard time deciding which plan would be the best fit. I currently don't know which is realistically the best option.

The benefits of going back to a 2 year is that while I'd end up paying more up-front (the price of rest of my payments for the Moto X + the phone price), I would be paying less in the long-run. However, I'd have to wait 2 years before I would be able to upgrade/change plans/leave Verizon without paying a fee.

The benefits of the Edge program is that I would end up paying much less up-front (the first payment + the rest of the payments on the Moto) and I have the option to upgrade much earlier, but it will end up being more expensive in the long run (and my mom is the one who pays the bill, and I don't really think she'll be happy with paying an extra $20 on our bill..., though I should be getting a job soon so I would be able to pay her the $32 back).

Which one sounds like the better option, going to a 2-year again or staying on Edge?

2. Avarize macrumors member

What about staying on EDGE for a 5s to get your immediate fix you need then switching over to the traditional $199 upgrade which is cheaper later once the 6 is out?

3. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Dude, seriously? We are less than 3 months away from the next iPhone, now is the worst time ever to buy an iPhone 5s! Moto X is a great phone, give it 3 more months and let it go out in style.

Also EDGE is such a ripoff.

4. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Maybe the guy likes the 5s. Not everyone has to have the newest and greatest thing... the 5s is a great phone and if he wants to get back into iOS, who cares???

----------

I'd go back to a 2 year plan. Plans like Edge, NEXT and JUMP are all rip-offs that are designed to hook people in who cannot wait to have the latest and greatest and are basically short-term leases on their phones.

If you plan to hold on to your device for a while go the 2 year route because you'll pay less for it over time. Otherwise if you don't trade in your device on Edge you'll end up paying full price for your phone.

5. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Even if the 5s is more to the OP liking, I still recommend waiting. They can at least save $100 if the new phone is not what they are looking for

6. 617aircav Suspended

Nothing wrong with the 5s. If he needs a phone now He needs it.

7. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I heavily considered waiting, but the only two values that the iPhone 6 would have is a larger screen and a better camera - I'm not someone who cares about having a large screen and I have an actual camera to take pictures I care about with. Otherwise the 8MP camera on the 5S is perfect for quick shots.

I may not even be able to do so until July, and I may just decide to get the iPhone 6 and wait, but I'm still seriously considering just jumping to a 5S.

8. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Do the math before you state false info...

Edge is a form of 0% APR financing and in the end as long as you don't have the itch to trade in every year, its cost beneficial..

9. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

Check the terms again. If you have a 10GB data plan, it is a pretty good deal. Cheaper than buying at a 2 year contract price. Easier to upgrade early. Easier to walk away early.

10. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

True, but for individual plans, it's still double subsidy.

11. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

No doubt about that. It is a good incentive to get people to up their data plans I guess. I have my household and my in-laws sharing a 10GB data plan. Five total phones, an iPad, and a MiFi. My corporate discount makes the 10GB data plan $85, so I only pay about $30/mo for it an use about 4GB each month. Sweet deal if you have family to share the plan with you. My wife got a 5s for about $4/mo net(before they switched Edge from 24 months to 20). That is a good deal.

12. dishfan82 macrumors member

The sales guy at the Verizon store said that Edge isn't designed so you keep your phone. It's set up so you only pay half and then upgrade to a new device. At least T-mobile gets it. You pay full price for the phone in payments but they discount the monthly plan. We are considering switching because Verizon is getting crazy expensive.

13. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Never ever ever let go of that deal! Dude!!! You are one of the few that are getting your money's worth. In fact, I would argue you are getting better deal and service than if you bought your phones unlocked and went with straight talk or net 10