Getting an iPhone 7 because there isn't anything better

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtcowdog, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mtcowdog, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

mtcowdog macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 6. I plan to get an iPhone 7. I am in a mood -- nothing to do with need -- where I like to upgrade my phone very 2 years. Android everything is fun, diverse, and completely wrong for my interests. I want stability and consistent functionality, over time with integration across computing devices. I value regular and fast updates. I am invested in Apple's "ecosystem" from Macs to iPad to iPhone to Apple Watch. My take on all the rumors of the iPhone 7 is meh, on a good day. But if the past is an indicator of the future -- and rumors are to be believed -- Apple's iPhone 7 hardware, however uninspired, will be as good or better than any option out there. And their hardware and software integration is unrivaled. Optimization. Say that for android with a straight face. I will also get updates directly from Apple, no matter my provider (at least in the U.S.). I know what to expect. I have nothing to hide -- most boring person on earth -- but kind of like their focus on privacy. I don't see anything better.

Give me any (reasonably recent) iPhone, and I can still use google services and apps. Gmail: Got it, depend upon it. Google drive and apps: Core part of my life. Google maps: Nothing is even close. Google search: Duh. And although I haven't used an android phone recently, I read over and over that google apps and services on iPhone are just as good or even better on iPhone than android. What am I missing? I'm not really all that into customizations of non-functional elements. I have other things to do.

Is the iPhone 7 exciting from what is leaked/rumored? No, not even close. Do I think Apple is putting forth their best effort? No way. All this distracting EU tax crap, painfully slow iteration of products, and maximal squeezing of profit across every product is nothing like the Apple I've known since the 1980s.

Am I looking to buy their next boring phone? Uh, sure, nothing better, why not.

How many of us are buying not because they are inspired but because there isn't anything better? Am I unique in my viewpoint? I doubt it.

2. techiebug macrumors 6502a

I'm excited and will buy the iPhone 7 simply because I'm fed up with Android. Next year I'll upgrade again. No big deal. Just really need a new phone now since my Note 4 is getting laggy very annoying

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I got the 6+ last year even though I hate the fugly antenna lines and the bulging camera. My motivation was that Sprint was going to grant me a new phone because I had put up with the crap network for the final 3 years of the 16 years I was with them.

Ordinarily, since we spend 2.5 to 3.5 years with our phones I buy what I think looks nice (to hell with features if it can email, text and browse the internet). So last year was motivated solely by the desire to squeeze blood from a rock.

Later we ported out to T-Mobile and since upgrading was minimal cost we did that. Again, not because we really liked our phones or because the 6s/6s+ was some big improvement.

But this year, we're settled in with time in on a new carrier. We aren't going anywhere, our current phones work well and so I am not going to pay for fugly squared with this new iPhone 7. I already have fugly. I don't need it twice over.

As to Apple's ecosystem…yeah, we have PowerBooks and PowerMacs in my house with just ONE Intel Mac running the max it can run, Snow Leopard and the rest running Leopard (10.5.8)

Apple abandoned us a very long time ago so even if we WANTED to be in the ecosystem it ain't happening.

Google and Dropbox for the win here. Works across ALL my devices. You'll notice that none of that is Apple. ;)

4. jadAce, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

5. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Problem is most of the upgrades you mentioned are already in the iPhone 6s.

6. jadAce, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

That's why I said the 7 will be a good upgrade for those of us on the 6 lol. We get all the 6S features plus whatever's in the 7.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

TL;DR. The iPhone is the best phone for many, but disappointed the 7 isn't rumoured to be a bigger improvement.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't know why people make such a big deal about updates on Android anyway. It's going to be a while before my Galaxy S7 Edge gets Nougat, but I don't even care. I already have the major new features (split screen multitasking and quick toggles above notifications) anyway. Google Play Services is updated directly from Google and everyone gets it around the same time. Almost all stock apps are also updated through the Play Store, so I don't need an entire system update for the browser, texting, phone, music, camera, etc. apps like iOS does.

I honestly can't think of a single new feature I'm waiting on for my phone to get Nougat.

9. mtcowdog thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, tl;dr is a good response!

I'm not as much complaining as realizing, huh, iPhone is king of the heap.

10. chrisforpm macrumors member

I'll upgrade to the 7+ just as I have upgraded to every iteration of the iPhone since the 3G. Why? I love Apple Pay, my Apple Watch and how seamless my phone works with my iPad and MacBook. I'll stay because I love no lag when jumping between applications. I'll upgrade because I love the look of the phone and how I don't have to tinker with settings to squeeze more juice out of the battery.

11. VesselA, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

VesselA macrumors regular

pin sharp text at a ppi over 326
    ability to run apps side by side at same time (apple have brought it to ipad but not phone yet)
    file system where you can access files, move to and from sd card
    sd card so you can expand storage and put any file from your computer and run straight away on device
    ability to turn your phone into a VR headset
    ability to run game emulators so you can play things like supermario 64 from the N64
    no need to put everything on itunes can load files straight on sd card & works on device
    pop out video so you can watch while running other apps, (ipad added but not on iphones yet)
    ability to record gameplay on device and watch it back in VR in a virtual cinema that looks 100 feet wide

well those are the things that for me put the s7 above the iphones just now, and I doubt apple will have a VR head set for a few years.

Edit
    Having said all that android and touchwiz is so badly optimised for apps that iPhone is the more fluent, consistent experience. So many apps on Samsung devices have stutter and lag it ruins the experience, whereas the iPhone is almost always really smooth.
    So, while Samsung does have more features, the iPhone is the better and more consistent experience imv

12. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I wasn't going to because I really thought the Note 7 was going to be way better, after two weeks with it though I think I am finally done giving android phones a chance.

I'll watch the keynote and either keep my 6s Plus or go ahead and upgrade.

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

What don't you like about the Note 7? (Hopefully its battery didn't explode on you! ;))

14. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Unfortunately it did and I am posting this from beyond... haha

The screen was great, the form factor was great, S-pen had some cool features. Pretty much everything else I didn't like, the battery life wasn't very good, All the equivalent apps I used were worse on android, notification issues, etc. It is a really nice phone but it just isn't the phone for me.

I missed a lot of iphone things more than I anticipated (imessage, 3d touch, live photos) I missed my apple watch and a lot of great apps that I just couldn't find adequate replacements for on android.

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I hear you on that. Having owned an Android tablet, I have nothing against the OS and there are in fact many things I like about it, but in my experience iOS versions of apps are usually more polished and more stable.

16. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

This post reads like another weak attempt to bash Android. In turn, it's also bashing iPhone as boring.

Many of us appreciate the merits of each platform and simply share about our preferences. My current first hand experience with both reveals two interesting and highly useful platforms.

Ironically it's Android that's more open and offers far more cross platform interoperability than Apple. But long time Apple enthusiasts know this. Android and iPhone are to be celebrated, they've provided us with excellent choices.

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I'm not getting the iPhone 7 as I have a Samsung S7 at the moment and don't feel the need to change it right now but I am very excited to watch the keynote as I am every time one is due.

18. Radon87000 macrumors 601

I am getting one because my iPhone 6 is too slow for me.Cant wait

19. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

From a 6 even with a similar design it will still be a very good upgrade without question.