getting an iphone and unlocking it, should i get it in US or UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slicedbread, Nov 10, 2007.

1. slicedbread macrumors regular

With all the hype of the iphone release in the UK, i've finally succumbed to the might of the iphone and plan to get one after resisting all this time.

With the possibility of new in box 1.1.1 iphones being unlocked now, and the undoubtedly coming 1.1.2 iphone unlocks that will happen soon, I don't know which one to get, the US or UK.

I have a friend going to NY soon, and can get him pick me up one from the apple store. With the GBP/USD rates as they are now, it works out to be about £205 for a US iphone, which I will unlock myself. Risk is there is no warranty if it breaks down here.

The UK iphone is £269 and 1.1.2, so I'd need to wait for this firmware to be hacked. (with the speed of the hacking teams, I don't think it will take too long tho!) Its about £60 more expensive, but if the hacking doesnt work I can still fall back to activating legitmately, and if it ever breaks I hope i can re-virginise it and take it to apple for warranty?

What does everyone think, the US or UK iphone?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9751/204; U; en))

Had a similar dilemma myself. Could have had a US one last month. Have u accounted for sales tax? Playing wait and see now. Posting this from a Nokia mobile running new Opera 4 - not bad but my typing is a bit slow!

3. slicedbread thread starter macrumors regular

including NYC sales tax it works out around £205 at today's exchange rate, so it seems a fairly good deal.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

The warranty situation is what made me wait for the UK launch. I was worried about getting a US phone to find it had hardware issues and not being able to return it easily. Now however it may be you could take a faulty US phone to a UK Apple Store and have it exchanged?

Anyway, I'd look out for any available discounts on a UK phone (someone mentioned £20 off vouchers for Carphone Warehouse. Edit: via Quidco.com you get £20 off the iPhone at CPW, but it may be only once you've entered into an O2 contract). With that the price difference is less and not worth buying a US one IMO.

5. slicedbread thread starter macrumors regular

do you have a link for this quidco voucher?

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I've started a new thread for discounts on the UK iPhone.

7. NENO555 macrumors newbie

Good question slicedbread, I'm in the exact same situation. I regularly travel to the US so I can pick one up there easily or get one here in the UK.

The other option is to buy one in France, which if I understand it correctly will be unlocked already...

All I want to do is put my company (T Mobile) sim so that I don't end up with yet another mobile phone to carry around.

Anyone any idea what the French version will cost? Or thoughts on which plan is best?