Getting an Iphone/Ipod Case manufactured...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LuthersBoots, Jan 11, 2011.

1. LuthersBoots macrumors member

Hi all.

I have a fresh idea for an Iphone/Ipod case and I am looking into having it manufactured. It's an adaptation of something similar on the market but done with much better stability and shockprooofing.

Has anyone here had experience with dealing with the Far East on items like this?

I am specifically looking into:

What specifics in relation to design drawings the manufacturer would need.
    If I could have a prototype made?
    Minimum orders (Most sites I have seen so far indicate 500.)

I would like to have it made in the UK but I think it's going to be much more cost effective to have it done in the far east.

Maybe the prototype could be made here and then sent out to replicate?

Anyways, if anyone has any advice in this area it would be greatly appreciated.

2. obyte macrumors regular

Are you modeling the case or do you need it designed as well? Are you just looking for a manufacturer over there to make the case?

It also depends on what materials you want.

Certain factories also use different file formats. Some prefer 2d CAD, some prefer 3d models etc..

If you want to email me or PM me, I could probably get you in contact with some mfg plants

You can fast-track a prototype, there are places in the UK that can do small prototyping for you. 3D Model printing machines are more common than you think.

3. LuthersBoots thread starter macrumors member

IPhone Case

Thanks for the reply.
    I will need to have it designed aswell.
    I have the rough drawings and I could figure out Cad quickly as i work in a related field but if it's easier to have someone else do the design then I might opt for that.

4. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

You sound young, uninformed, unrealistic

If you are serious about this you need to finalize your design and

a) need to have the funding
    b) raise funding ( Kick starter perhaps)
    c) Pay someone with real CAD experience to make 3D prototype
    d) Contact Local CNC shop that will produce a real prototype
    e) Get in contact with Production Factory ( China perhaps)

5. ngocturnal, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

ngocturnal macrumors newbie

Re:

Hi LutherBoots,

Have you look into rapid prototyping? It's a 3d printer that will produce a prototype for you.

There's videos on youtube about it to give you an idea. There's a company/guy on there that has made a ipod case prototype out of it, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azETVHkP0IY

Sorry, it's a crappy link, but he has a better video of the prototype examples he made that I saw last night (I can't find it right away, hopefully you have more time to search into it), just browse through his videos & you should get some ideas.

Once you have prototype, and get your dimensions exactly how you want it, you can make a .STL file from a CAD program and search for manufactures who do plastic injection & molding and go from there. Make sure you know or at least have an idea of what kind of material you want (if it's plastic, know what kind of plastic i.e. ABS). With your .STL file, quantity you want, and material requirements, they should have a good idea of your product to give you a quote and timeframe.

Good luck!