Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobobo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I need a device like the iphone as have sold my macbook. Either I get the iPod touch and a regular cell phone or I unlock the iPhone or I wait till french iPhone comes out.

Is the French going to be unlocked to providers outside of France?

What is the current siutation with unlocking the American iPhone? Should I buy something like the TurboSim?

Does anyone suggest any providers to use in Israel?

Thank y'all.

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
AFAIK the french law obliges the supplier to unlock the sold phone after six months if the customer requests it. But not that it can be sold seperately unlocked (although speculation exists that this will be the case, so far nobody is certain that this will be the case).

I live in Belgium and bought my phone in America via http://www.international-orders.com. I ordered it on a friday morning and they delivered monday afternoon ! You can either buy an unlocked phone or do it yourself and save a hundred bucks. Perhaps now you can buy one via ebay that was sold in the UK ?

As long as the phone is firmware 1.1.1 you can jailbreak it by going to jailbreakme.com and then use the installer.app to install the free program anysim on it, this will unlock your phone. Took me about an hour or so to find the correct instructions, and 20 minutes for the actual process.

As for providers in Israel, select one that offers you EDGE in the area you are going to use it.

I hope this helps.

bobobo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
What about activation? I will probably be getting an American iPhone pretty soon... is there any chance it will come with firmware 1.1.1?

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
London
What about activation? I will probably be getting an American iPhone pretty soon... is there any chance it will come with firmware 1.1.1?

A US one is better as it will probably still be 1.1.1 and can be jailbreaked and unlocked directly.

If you buy a 1.1.2 from europe you will need to downgrade to 1.1.1 and then upgrade to 1.1.2 with the unlock.

Put in a cellcom chip as they have excellent EDGE service.

The only issue you will have is youtube. Do some searching in google to find out the trick to fix this.

rgds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.