getting an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vin365, May 10, 2009.

1. Vin365 macrumors regular

so I am buying an iphone off of a friend tomorrow, and I have a few questions.

1.) Right now I am on a family plan with unlimited talk and texting since I'm switching to the Iphone without buying it from AT&T(but its still my provider) will that stay the same?

2.) Another issue is that since I am not getting it through AT&T will I still have to get the data plan and activate it? Or can I just pop my SIM right in and start using it?

thanks

2. JCastro macrumors 6502a

The last I knew you would not be able to just pop in a different sim and go. You will need to go to an AT&T store and get a new SIM. Then you will need to activate it through iTunes. You will have to switch to an iPhone plan. It can be added to the family plan but you will have to pay for the data portion for sure.

If the iPhone is unlocked then that changes everything. You would be able to pop in a different SIM and you could stay on the same plan as long as AT&T did not know. I don't think that some of the features like Visual Voicemail will work with being on an iPhone plan though.

3. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Here is the AT&T FAQ's page. It should have all the info you need.

5. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

so if all the stuff I already had just carried over I would just be paying an extra 30 dollars a month on the family plan?

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Exactly. Your best bet would be to unlock it and use it with the cheapest data plan you can find.

8. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

ok one last question. When I do get it can I do all the activating and contract over the phone or do I have to go to the store?

9. actorkid macrumors 6502

you're going to have to go to the AT&T store to get a new sim....they'll probably activate it right there if you want them to...but no matter what, you'll have to go to AT&T to get a new sim card