Getting an iPod Touch next week and want your Jailbreaking advice!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Jin666, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jin666 macrumors member

Hey,

Next weekend I shall be buying a new iPod Touch 8GB model.

I have a friend who has the 16GB model and I am definetly going to be jailbreaking.

From what I have heard, the iPod will likely come with firmware 1.1.1. This can then be jailbroken. I'm not 100% sure how to do this, but I heard there is a website you can visit on the Safari browser?

Also, after the jailbreak, I will be on 1.1.1 JB? This then puts the installer app on my home screen and lets me download new apps for the Touch.

I've heard it is advisable to backup the installer app? How will I go about doing this?

And finally, where do I find the best sources for apps. I will be looking for the 5 iPhone apps (Mail, Google Maps etc.), among others such as Apollo and iPhysics.

Btw, I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks ;)

2. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. So basically I just follow these steps:

Steps
    1. Download Firmware 1.1.1 from Apple ( Size = 152.3 MB )

2. Hold Home & Sleep buttons on your iTouch until your screen turns black. Once your screen turns black, wait 1 second and let go of the Sleep button but maintain your finger pressed on the Home button until iTunes opens up and says that your iTouch is in Recovery Mode. Click "Ok" to the dialog.

3. Hold the command key ( or ALT ) and click on the restore button. Look for the 1.1.1 Firmware that you downloaded earlier from Apple and select it. Once that happens your iTouch will be reformatted to 1.1.1.

4. Once it's done, Open up MobileSafari ( Safari on your iTouch ) and go to jailbreakme.com. Scroll down and click "Installer AppSnapp". Once it's installed you will have a JB 1.1.1.

5. Open up Installer and go through the dialogues. Once there out of the way update the Installer. Once the Installer is updated go to the Install section of Installer and install the following :

System / BSD Subsystem
    System / OpenSSH
    *Optional* System / Services

Cheers guys. And I assume finding apps is as simple as finding good sources somewhere and adding them. Does anyone have a specific area to look or should I just follow links found in various threads and youtube vids etc?

Merci :D

3. bnizzy macrumors member

well, thats 1/3 of it...

It depends on what version of JB you would like to get to, the newest is 1.1.3 and it inclues all the new features that are offered by the $20 pack on iTunes. That link I gave you above shows you all the steps to get to 1.1.3.

As for sources and apps, look thru this forum, youtube videos, and go to www.installerapps.com.

gluck.

4. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. The reason I think I will go for 1.1.1 is that it appears to be the most stable (at current) and my mate who is currently using that version could possibly help with any minor probs.

Thanks guys

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

another note to add (people say this is a myth but from experience its not) make sure you download and install iTunes 7.5 apple have modified 7.6 to make it harder to downgrade to 1.1.1.

you can get iTunes 7.5 here: http://www.neowin.net/news/software/07/11/06/itunes-75

6. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent thanks.

As I mentioned above, it seems to be version 1.1.1 which is the most stable. Thankfully on this version you are able to install the 5 new apps (seen a video on youtube) through the installer.

What limitations will 1.1.1 bring? Apart from wiggly icons, are there any others which would be noticable?

Oh, is there any other way to rearrange icons on 1.1.1 JB?

Thanks;)

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You can use Customize to arrange/order your icons but it's far more convoluted than the 'wiggly icons' method. Also sorely lacking from pre-1.1.3 firmwares is the ability to view lyrics. That's a very big advantage of 1.1.3, IMO ...

8. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Is 1.1.3 not very prone to freezing/crashing tho?

9. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

On 1.1.1, what are your options in terms of renaming icons on the home screen(s)?

I have heard of 'Customise', mentioned above, to move the icons, but can you rename icons using it?

And are there any alternatives to Customise for moving icons?

10. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

Web Clips?

One further question. Are web clips only available on 1.1.3 JB, and is there no way to put shortcuts to web pages onto the homescreen in 1.1.1 / 1.1.2 JB?

11. caa4444 macrumors member

B4 restore in itunes to 1.1.3 u need to use auto-down to let u downgrade,if u dont then there will be error 1

12. pbcrazyboy macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434107

go to my post. That is what you do if your ipod touch has 1.1.3 software and you need to download.

13. Jin666 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot. I will find out next weekend what version I'm on, and take it from there.

Cheers :D:D