Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
My uncle e-mailed me last night to ask if I wanted an old iBook G3 he had. From what he's describing "Black, no Firewire", I'm gone on to assume it's a Graphire iBook SE.

Thus, questions follow.

1) Would I be best off with Panther or Tiger?

2) What type of hard drive is the best for an old iBook, and what's the largest capacity it will accept?

3) Maximum ram seems to be 256MB + whatever the onboard is. Is this just Apple's reccomended or will it accept more?

4) Lastly, I know that original airport cards can be pricey, but where's the best place to get one?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
neoelectronaut said:
My uncle e-mailed me last night to ask if I wanted an old iBook G3 he had. From what he's describing "Black, no Firewire", I'm gone on to assume it's a Graphire iBook SE.

Thus, questions follow.

1) Would I be best off with Panther or Tiger?

2) What type of hard drive is the best for an old iBook, and what's the largest capacity it will accept?

3) Maximum ram seems to be 256MB + whatever the onboard is. Is this just Apple's reccomended or will it accept more?

4) Lastly, I know that original airport cards can be pricey, but where's the best place to get one?

Go to everymac.com and check the specs. Craigslist is a good place to get airport cards and I'd stuff it with as much ram as possible. HD, I don't think there is a limit on what they can take in terms of space or speed. I heard of a clamshell ibook with a 60gig 7200rpm and 640 ram -- worked great.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

It sounds like your uncle may have an older powerbook for you that has no firewire, and is black. If that is the case then it would not accept internal airport cards. If it is indeed a clamshell ibook, then just forget about this post :)

Congrats!

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
kmarketing said:
Hi,

It sounds like your uncle may have an older powerbook for you that has no firewire, and is black. If that is the case then it would not accept internal airport cards. If it is indeed a clamshell ibook, then just forget about this post :)

Congrats!

Oh, no, he knows his stuff. It's definitely an iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.