Getting an replacement iphone 4, not a fix

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duction, Jul 19, 2010.

1. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

so today i went into the apple store and collered some employee, i asked him about the dropping calls because of the antenna problem? he shows me his phone and said nah, no problems here.

So
    natually, i asked him if i should replace my phone? he goes.. well i dont have problems with mine. so i got home and got an appointment to have my handset replaced.. hope it gets cleared up :)

Also got told the handsets they hand out are not sale phones, but phones that have been through the process of being tested on every level to make sure nothing is wrong with it. il test the new handset out before i hand mine over anyway. haha

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Did you test your phone for the problem right when he showed you that his apparently didn't have the problem? That would be the smart thing to do before bothering to return it, since the problem only occurs under certain signal conditions.

3. x986 macrumors regular

But the REAL problem is the proximity sensor, and that can't be addressed with a five cent bumper. Hardware? Software? They ain't talkin'.

4. d3n13d macrumors member

uh, yes they have, they are working on a software update for the proximity sensor

5. pintnight macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs said the proximity issue will be fixed in iOS 4.1.0.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They didn't give a specific version number (it would just be 4.1 btw not 4.1.0), they said it should be fixed with software.

7. x986 macrumors regular

And we believe this? Based on whose trustworthyness? I don't want to sound, nor am I, completely negative, but the pablum we have been getting smells a bit like cherry flavored Kool Aid.

I don't want to use the word 'disaster' here; that should be used for something like the BP situation, not a phone problem. But I do think the causes for both are similar, and the 'answers' coming from both chiefs sound similar.

8. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

the thing with sensors is they either work or they don't... if it was hardware it wouldn't be turning your screen off at all..

it's more the tolerance allowed needs to be modified in it's software, i think it's a design problem where it is placed too far up, but again they can adjust the tolerance to compensate for it

9. x986 macrumors regular

Replacement - So far so good

The prox sensor issue was so bad that I actually called Applecare. After about five minutes, he said, "Go get a new phone". The local store didn't sound too crazy to give me one, but they did. With 8-10 calls, and 15-20 minutes, NO ISSUES.

That may be it. If it is, that would make me think it is hardware & quality control, not software. My serial numbers (If I'm reading them right) seem to say different factories, same build week.
    Old: 86027DXPA
    New:81027ZQZA