iPhone SE Getting an SE instead of XR/XS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakja83, Oct 23, 2018.

1. jakja83 macrumors member

Currently using 6S and happy about it, but it needs replacing after 3 hard years of work duty. I was considering the XR as my next phone, but I also love the form factor of the SE. Is the SE still up for the job? I feel the XR is a bit too large?

2. rockitdog macrumors 68020

The SE is a bit long in the tooth. I got my daughter one for her first phone last month, it feels like a toy. I wouldn't buy one for myself.

3. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

SE gives you 3 hrs of SOT from 100% to 0%. XR gives you maybe 10+ hrs or SOT, maybe even more.

4. frou macrumors 6502

frou

Apps are designed with bigger phones in mind these days. Their UI elements often feel cramped/compromised on the 4" iPhones.

XR is on a different planet to the SE. I would not look backwards

5. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

The SE is basically the 6s in a smaller shell. If you're happy with the 6s you'll be good with the SE.

6. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

If you're using a 6s and looking to upgrade, just get an 8.

Same form factor, but better everything (aside from the lack of a headphone jack).

7. Tmacc47 macrumors member

I second the iPhone 8. Sane size and updated software.

8. jakja83 thread starter macrumors member

Well, the 8 costs almost XR-price
    I see. 6S was fine, and I was considering getting an SE to tug for a year. XR looks a bit thick and slightly large? I feel 6S is just about right size-wise.

8 is almost as expensive so I feel that would be like buying old tech at high price.

9. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

I'd personally get the Xr, it's a no brainer.

10. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Unless you are planning on upgrading next year I wouldn't get a SE.

For the price difference between the 8 and the Xr just go Xr.

11. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

If you’re against the Xr because of size, and the 8 for price the iPhone 7 is a logical choice. Apple has them in their refurbished store (cheaper and standard warranty), they are fairly low priced used, and it’s still an upgrade from the 6s. That or find a good deal on another 6s. The SE is nice, but it’s main benefit is being small.

12. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

If you don’t want to spend the money on a 8, I would suggest a 7. It’s still a great phone and it has some good upgrades compared to a 6s.

13. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

If you are thinking about getting an se just because your 6s is work out, I'd get another 6s.

14. Mackinjosh Suspended

Get a 7 or 8 before you get the SE. It's way too old at this point.

15. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

`
    If you are buying a phone to keep for the next three years, you are best off going with one of the X models at this point. Apple is moving to larger phones, so I'm not sure if you can avoid that. If you have to stick with a smaller phone, try to find a cheap 7 (refurbished or something).

16. white4s macrumors 68000

I'm over here dying to move on from my SE lol.

17. jakja83 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, there seems to be consensus on skipping the SE.
    :)

Well, I usually carry the 6s in my front pocket and my wife's X feels like a brick in comparison. The XR has an even larger footprint and thickness. The SE would disappear more easily in my pocket...

Xr seems like a sweetspot right now so maybe...

18. white4s macrumors 68000

Yea picturing the way it feels in my pocket has been on my mind also. Also heavier

If I'm walking though I keep it in the back pocket, I read a caution about men carrying phones in the front pocket could do some harm to our lil friends there. Radiation?

19. H818H macrumors member

no headphone jack, no deal

20. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

Your options are dwindling by the day.

21. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

SE! No way! The reasons are too many to mention. We have so many of these in a cabinet in the IT office. No one wants them. But hey. Everyone has to get what works best for them.

22. RicD, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

RicD macrumors member

RicD

My daily driver is the 6S Plus. By upgrading what would I gain, really not much. All my productivity apps perform quite good, screen is good, though it has 3D touch mostly I forget it is there. Games are not my thing, business stuff and photography are. The 6S Plus camera performs very good, heck 99.99% of the folks could not tell images were captured with a cellphone. There is a saying in construction “caulk and paint make me what I ain’t”, post processing images is the same. Until this 6S Plus takes a dirt nap, or Apple stops supporting it, there is neither a productivity nor income increasing reason for me to upgrade. If you think upgrading your iPhone your productivity and income will improve then upgrade. Remember, upgrading provides one year of bragging rights, ego enhancing, and self worth, but not much else is gained.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Do you have a source for this?

24. worldvirus macrumors newbie

worldvirus

I'm the odd one out here, I have the SE and love it. Still running iOS10 I can get 3 days battery life, It fits in the front pocket of my jeans, it has a headphone jack, and has given me no problems whatsoever. I dread the thought of having to 'upgrade'