getting an SR MacBook was a mistake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arbaz, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Arbaz macrumors newbie

as I'm waiting for my new SR MacBook to arrive, I have nothing better to do than read those forums. and looks like the new MacBook is a one big bugfest.

problems I've seen so far: electric buzz, keyboard unresponsiveness, poor screen contrast. not to mention possible dead pixels and other, yet unheard of problems. did I miss anything?

all this really makes me wonder whether I should have just bought a Dell M1330...

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

The buzz will likely be there with any CD or C2D based system.

Nevermind that Dell extends warranty repair on faulty product but neglects to notify the owners (ie me).. when I had a near bricked Dell that I found out two days outside of their warranty extension I could have fixed. I fought with them for about 6 hours on the phone (over several calls) and they finally 'fixed' it, and I use that term loosely.

3. cvahl macrumors member

Don't worry, you'll like yours!
    I have mine since two weeks after waiting 6 months for the right moment, and I'm really happy with it. The display looks great, the keyboard problem seems to be gone after upgrading to 10.5.1, and it is really quiet. :)

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There are bound to be problems on any new system, there just seems to be a few too many on these. Mine though, has not had any noticeable problems yet. Hopefully you will not be disappointed.

5. blammy macrumors newbie

In all honesty, read the dell forums and you'll see just as much griping about the same issues, just different hardware. Feel good about your purchase. If it turns out that there is an issue, take it from there because in most cases, these things can be resolved. ;)

6. Arbaz thread starter macrumors newbie

my experience wil Dell so far was great. I've had a grand total of 4 dell PCs and 2 laptops from Dell and the only problem I've had was with an LCD screen (a whole batch of pixels, over 1000, just died). that was a 2.9 year old screen, soon to lose it's warranty, but they came over the next day with a brand new one (a newer model, too).

their phone support has been awesome, too.

itself, the possibility of encountering a problem in my new SRMB does not really bother me. I have 14 days after I receive my notebook to return it and get all the money back. it's waiting 3 more weeks for a new notebook to come that I just can't stand.

and in case I get a Dell, I'll have to wait 2-3 days tops since they ship out from a facility in my country.

7. ceiph macrumors regular

wow your posting on a mac forum that you think you should have gone with a dell? there are other forums that cater to notebooks only that you could express you opinions on.

dont wanna be mean but you HAVE to realize they responses you get will be biased

that said

the problems you mentioned are on any computer

8. D4F Guest

D4F

Why can't people be ever happy...
    The SR 2.2 feckin rocks.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I have none of the above problems. Everything seems to be fine here.

*Knocks on wood*

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

wow why buy anything then, or even a car....you know a TSB is right around the corner........

11. Wanderer509 macrumors member

i am sure it iwill be fixed, there is nothing u can do about it at this point in time, its probably almost there already =) dont worry, u will love your macbook, i sure do n i jsut switched!

12. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

I recieved a keyboard and screen alignmen problem macboook.. Got a 1 to 1 after some yelling

13. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that these forums dont represent the 'average' user who just stops by an apple store and picks it up. Those people dont come online to tell everyone how much they love there new macbook. But the hardcore Apples on here post every little thing..
    So if you think about all the 'bad' threads you see, theres most likely 100 people who love the macbook they just dont use message boards.

I felt the same way when i ordered my CD macbook when they first released the new design. I have the version that had the Yellowing palmrests, dead pixels, extremely hot, fan problem, possible brick explosion. But i got mine and never had a problem (well the palmrests yellowed, but that was fixed in 2 days at a local authorized repair shop) I LOVE mu CD macbook. greatest computer i have ever owned.

You will be pleased, and if it does hall those problems you have 14 days to return and buy your Dell. so dont worry. everything will be okay.

14. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

My macbook 2.2 Santa Rosa rocks. No keyboard issues. No buzzing, great screen. Happy happy joy joy, now the Macbook pro THAT had issues.

15. maximus06 macrumors regular

Haha, ROFL! You know why i ordered a macbook SR? Because I had just returned two M1330's after fighting with Dell for 2 weeks and ending up paying $100 to ship these ****** things back (original and replacement, both had TONS of problems). They are **** in terms of build quality, and Dell = Hell. This is funny.

16. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I've recently purchased an SR Macbook (version 3.1) and I'm happy to report no issues as well.

17. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

mine is fine!!! I do agree that the screen contrast seems a tad washed out. But I think that new drivers will clear it up. But that could also be because I have been using my MBP with the LED screen so long that now I am spoiled!!!! I am happy with the macbook!!!

18. fireworkz macrumors newbie

Wait for it to come.. dont look at the forums as the negativity may cause you to get paranoid and then you will start to look for faults even if the Macbook isnt faulty... :D

19. tayhoenes macrumors newbie

I am having the buzzing noise, I am not sure what it is that is doing it. I have already returned one for the buzzing noise and now the new one is buzzing too and it seems worse than the last one! The buzzing is only noticable in quite rooms. I wonder if people that say they don't hear a buzzing really do have the buzzing just have not had that quite time alone with mr macbook to notice.

The screen has been great and the keyboard too....

I thought the buzzing was maybe the fan running at the idle 1800rpm, but it is hard to say. I kinda want to get the older verison because I have tested those and they seem to be super silent.

Does anyone know if you and get an older version at the retail Apple Stores if I were to swap? Has anyone had trouble swapping for a new one with the buzzing noise?

20. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Lol, your last sentence is so contradictory to your first sentence.
    Some computers of every product line have some issues. I reject to believe that one product line has more.
    You might be talking from experience but so am I. IMO the macbooks had more issues than the MBP but that's because I accidentally saw 6 macbooks with issues and only 1 mbp with issues, and the mbp I just bought recently is perfect.

So all of these comments on which product line is the most flawed can just shut it. They are worthless and subjective thus not even worth contemplating when buying a new laptop.

21. KissStephanie macrumors member

KissStephanie

Aussie girl in the East Village, New York City
    I haven't heard a detectable buzzing since I received mine on Wednesday. I've got close in a quiet room and my hearing is perfect as well! I am running 10.5.1 and my keyboard works as it should. The contrast, and colours on my monitor seems fine, and the same as previous MacBook's to me. That said, maybe there will be a driver or firmware update to fix such a problem anyway.

I have not heard of any problems regarding dead pixels, so where did you hear about that??? Finally, what do you mean by "yet unheard of problems?" To be mentioning something that has not been discovered as yet doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. :confused:
    That depends. If you prefer Windows Vista which had received much lower reviews compared to Tiger, let alone Leopard, then maybe the Dell would suit you. If you prefer a computer that has received a lower rating score than the MacBook according to CNet and others, then maybe the Dell would suit you. If you prefer a computer that costs more for the same features, then maybe the Dell will suit you. If you prefer a computer that runs slower in most independent tests, then maybe the Dell will suit you.

Good luck if you choose to get the Dell instead. :) I would have a Dell M1330 too, as long as I was paid to have it and could still use my Macs instead! I don't exactly know what I would do with it though. Give it away for Christmas, or sell it on eBay maybe.

22. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I wonder what Microsoft is paying per new astroturf post on MacRumors these days?

There's two or three threads like this every day lately.

23. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

I think that it's just normal to expect the requisite moanings after a new product update (assuming the change is more significant than a simple chip upgrade, ie., the actual motherboard).

My best friend just got a brand new 2.2 BlackBook and honestly, we can't tell any difference in terms of screen, sound emitting from the machine or the keyboard between that and my 3 month old 2.16 BlackBook.

24. Arbaz thread starter macrumors newbie

to those bashing M1330, the only reason I decided to go for a MacBook was Leopard. I am just sick of Windows and it's bugs. technically, the M1330 is a much better machine, with LED backlit screen, ability to choose 7200 PRM or SSD drives, dedicated graphics card, fingerprint reader, 85Whr battery, etc. but the thought of having to deal with Windows' bugs again - that is what turned me away.

but enough of this blabbering, I guess I'll just wait and see what my MacBook is like when it arrives.

25. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I have to agree with you the m1330 is beautiful machine I would rather have it then a macbook too.