Getting annoyed at MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarshallM, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MarshallM macrumors member

Right, I've had a Macbook Pro for around 4 months now, and after having an iBook that lasted 3 years I can safely say that I had no queries buying another Apple laptop. I thought I'd even splash out and buy the 15" MacBook Pro, being a student that's quite an investment.

However, 2 months ago my the front button to release the latch got stuck and I had to have it repaired. Covered by warranty after I had a moan at Apple, and their authorised tech support place locally replaced the whole bottom part. But now it looks like this is coming apart - shall I take it back there? Pictures attached at bottom. :) I'd like opinions to know if I'm being fussy or not. Also, it's not that dirty in real life!

Another VERY annoying thing is the keyboard - half the time if I apple moderate force to keys - B and T usually, they do not type. For a premium product surely they could fit a keyboard equivalent to the quality of a cheap HP laptop? Is there anything I can do about this? It's starting to annoy me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Whoa, I'd be pissed if my MBP came back looking like that w/ the huge gap! I'd complain for sure!

Sorry you've had such bad luck with this thing so far! Have them fix it, and don't stop b*tching until you're satisfied.

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Take a look here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=408088

I listed this a couple of weeks ago and it lists all the problems I've had with my PowerBook.

I really don't think I'll be getting a MacBook Pro...

And my screen keeps doing this (and it's getting worse by the day).

Attached Files:

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's not USER ERROR, it'll be covered by the warranty.

You need to get a good laptop bag. Only impacts will loosen the case like that.

5. MarshallM thread starter macrumors member

joefinan - Ouch, you're in a worse position I see! Do you think Apple takes more care of it's 'value' range over its professional range?

No user errors here - I only ever use my laptop in my house, it's only been to a few different places. I have a snug incase which I use if I'm transporting it around!

So, phone Apple then take it back to the local place.. I may have a bitch with Apple to see what they say, as this keyboard is really pissing me off!

6. DaLurker macrumors 6502

My MBP has been doing that lately too. I've tried resetting everything. I'd take it back to Apple but I don't want to have to take my user upgraded hard drive out :(

7. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

Mine has been popping out by the Latch, I am probably gonna get it fixed if it really annoys me. Got the Apple care for 3 years so got a while yet. But yea I think that happens on everyones MBP. The material is just thin in that section of the laptop.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I can confirm this,mine showed signs of popping just above the latch but when
    i changed my harddrive i gave it a little prod back and that sorted it

9. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I think some Apple techs are better than others at opening and closing a Macbook Pro. Mine was in for a fan replacement. I think the genius bar did the work and it came back with the bottom case bent out like in the picture above.

When they put it back together the mouse button wouldn't work right. It was dull instead of giving a little click. Back it went.

Got it back, the keyboard light was out.

I have it back now, but if my hands rest too heavily on the case the keyboard light goes out. I'm out of warranty (I know I should have Applecare, I missed the window accidently) and I don't know if the warranty from the original repair is still good. I think it's not.

I'm going to make a fuss if they don't make this right. I think the Macbook Pro is tricky to reassemble. I opened one for a friend once, and it was pretty simple, except for the catches at the front near the latch.

I think this laptop is a great design - except that they might not have thought about maintenance enough. And heat.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The warranty is extended from the date of last repair, or the original end date of warranty, whichever date is later. The info is on the paperwork you receive back with the repair.

Who do you think repairs these things and put them back together? Yes, TRAINED technicians. They all have tons of experience with how to properly dissemble and reassemble all the products. They are certified and they have to take annual tests to work in the job (and if they didn't study enough they will fail the test, and have to PAY to retake the tests).

Perhaps you should visually inspect and test the laptop for 10 minutes before taking it home??? How come for many people, it's always a problem that develops LATER?

11. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

That's unfortunate man... If you didn't do that yourself, then I'm sure they'll fix it no prob.

12. hotsauce3868 macrumors member

After getting my SR MBP HDD replaced after only three months of use I had the same issue as you in the same exact place after the repair. I thought the HDD was too big for the case or they misplaced the bluetooth receiver. I remember reading somewhere about replacing the HDD, I believe on iFixit, that it takes a little force to snap the top surface of the MBP back into place after removing it. I applied a good deal of pressure and sure enough it looks as good as new. Just throwing that out there because I did not see in your post that you tried to push it back down.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Is that the side to the left of the latch? Either way pulling without the latch 100% disengaged seems to have unclipped your fascia. I know on the right side you stick a smudger tool about an inch into the drive and press down and it'll clip back. The left side is a bit more challenging. A genius will do this for you while you watch....

14. MrKobie macrumors newbie

Well their 'highly trained' technicians certainly do screw up from time to time.

I sent my brand new MBP back for repair last year. They replaced the battery & a few other internal parts. When I got it home I noticed the case wasn't put back together very well (screws sticking out slightly) and the battery was jammed in fast - impossible to remove. I noticed later still that it took about twice as long as normal to charge the battery.

Anyway, I never got around to bringing it back (big mistake) because I need it for work & I never need to take the battery out anyway. But last week the latch broke so I brought it in to the local apple centre. The guy opened it up & get the battery out - turns out the idiot that repaired it last time left some plastic protector on the battery which is why it was jammed & not charging. so he sent it back to the repair centre for a better look & today I got a bill for 130 euros (about $190). They seem to be claiming that I was the one that did the damage.

It's still under warrenty & they're saying even if I don't get the repairs done I owe them 80 euros for examining it.

I've got a battle ahead of me, but sometimes I just REALLY hate apple.

15. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

My Powerbook display did the same thing while it was covered by AppleCare and the display panel was replaced under warranty. Other than some dead pixels that I have yet to address with Apple, my MBP has been fine.

16. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

Is applecare really worth it compared to just replacing the parts yourself from a site such as www.fixit.com? I see a bunch of users complaining about the service and support side of apple and it concerns me to a certain degree.

17. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I spent $350 for AppleCare for my PowerBook (I hadn't yet heard of expercom.com - AppleCare for my MBP was $270 from them). My PowerBook had the display, logic board, and hard drive all replaced under the AppleCare warranty. According to the site you linked to, those parts would run around $1000. And I would be the one doing the labor.

18. gescom macrumors regular

gescom