Getting another Iphone through ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phas3, Mar 24, 2011.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

hey guys, I want to get my little sister an iphone 4. She wants a touch but rather than spending more on the touch, att has a refurb Iphone for 100.00. If I add another line so I can get her the iphone how does that work? I have never added a line to my current iphone. She won't be using the phone to call people as she's only like 10, do our minutes become shared or I will have to pay another 100 monthly on my plan?

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

If you add a line, you'll pay for the phone and your rate will increase by 10 a month. Keep in mind that AT&T will require a data plan for an iPhone, so you'll also have to pay at least $15 a month for the data.

Family plans have different minute allotments than individual plans. The lowest is 550 min, which is what I have. We've got tons of rollover minutes (thanks at&t for the free 1000 minutes!) so it works well for us!

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

An iPod touch requires neither a contract no a monthly plan. Is it really worth paying thousands (or event hundreds) of dollars and signing a new contract to save $200?

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

so I would be paying 135 every month, my monthly right now is 100 with my iphone. 135 a month, and she'll get an iphone in which she can use as an ipod/touch as well as a phone if she ever needs to get a hold of me or my parents...I think that's worth it

5. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

It may be more than $35 difference. You have to compare what individual voice plan you have now vs. the family plan that you'll need to get.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Agreed, for a 10 year old is not worth getting an i4.
    It will cost you alot more in the long run over the 2 years and you will have to upgrade your plan to a more expensive family plan, add data etc...

8. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

That's really dumb. What 10 year old is going to take care of an iPhone?

Get the Touch and a cheap-assed no contract phone if you're that hell-bent on getting the little urchin a voice trinket.

9. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

What grade is 10 years old? I'm getting too old to even remember? That's what like grade 4-5? She's way to young to own an iPhone. WAY to young. My first phone was in grade 8 and it was this crappy flip phone that didn't do anything but make calls. I don't even think it had games on it. And that was back when having a camera on your phone was 'insanely cool'.

10. lucas123 macrumors member

Get her what she wants.

The extra phone line will most likely cost you much more than expected, and guaranteed an iphone 4 will be broken or stolen within a month.

11. lucas123 macrumors member

Oh, and it is awesome of you to look after your little sister like that.