Getting Apple to replace bad RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kimi, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Kimi macrumors regular

After a great deal of messing about I finally found out what was wrong with my MacBook. One of the sticks of RAM was bad. It's from Apple, and I'm under warrenty so that's not a problem.

My question is do I need to take the whole MacBook to an Apple store, or can I just post the RAM somewhere and they'll send back one that's good? I'll be giving them a ring when I've got time, but it'll be nice to know before hand so I can ask for it.

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Its probably likely that they will want you to send the entire machine back, especially if it isn't in the user accessable port.

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You will need to send in the computer. That way they can see if it is the RAM or something else. Even if you have tried other RAM in the same port they will want to test it out.

4. jotamurray macrumors member

yesterday i took my powerbook to an apple store... i have had problems with the ram. in my case it turns out its a known fault and is covered by apple. when the guy told me it would take about a week to get the new piece they need to replace i said "good, i'll take my mac home and come back in a week" -- he said they needed to keep the machine for further tests... so i guess the same will eb appllied to you.