Getting AppleCare on a 11 month old Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brainwave89, Jan 11, 2008.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to get AppleCare on a Macbook that is 11 months old and that I recently purchased from a individual?

Many thanks.

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

As long as the original purchase was not more than 12 months ago, you'll still be able to. If the macbook was purchased more than 12 months ago, then you're out of luck. :(

4. brainwave89 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Do you have the original receipt/knowledge of when it was bought? I think you can look it up on Apple's website, but having some solid info on your end will help.

Best of luck. :)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Keep in mind AppleCare must not only be bought but registered online, before the 366th day

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can also check what Apple has on file for your machine here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

This will tell you when Apple thinks your warranty period is. Keep in mind that if your friend didn't not buy directly from Apple, the date might be wrong. For example, on products that are purchased from say Best Buy, Apple's records usually have the date that Best Buy obtained the product. In this case you'd need the original receipt to send to Apple.

-Kevin

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Now THAT one's interesting. A guy here in NZ brought back around 10 MBPs from the US then sold them all (new in box). I bought one, and Apple's site lists the original purchase date as the day *I* got it, not the day he purchased them. It must go by the original registration when you first turn the computer on.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Perhaps, although there is a chance that New Zealand has more consumer-protection laws. You kiwis aren't alone in having tougher warranty laws than the US, and maybe New Zealand law requires the warranty period to begin only upon registration.

Or, maybe because of the time difference, the notebook got to you in time to be the "same day." :confused:
    Or, maybe someone royally messed up. :p

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It definitely was not the same day, it had been purchased in the US weeks before I got it. But now that I think about it, how would Apple know when the original buyer got it? The only way to know would be if the store he bought from told Apple that serial number X was sold on day Y.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh, so he didn't purchase it from Apple directly? Well that changes things. When you buy from Apple, I think the warranty period begins right away in the system. But, those who buy from 3rd party retailers probably catch a break because there might be a lag between the time the retailer reports the sale and the time the consumer registers.

I don't know, I'm just pulling stuff out of thin air here. I have no idea why your mbp was treated differently. :eek:

However, my guess is that there is some aspect of New Zealand law that we don't know about. Warranties are very susceptible to local laws. For example, here in CA, there is a law that states that any repair time must be added onto the end of the warranty period for cars (so if your car was in the shop for 3 weeks, 3 weeks needs to be added onto the end of your warranty).

In all probability, there is a New Zealand law which states that warranties can only begin on the date the consumer registers the product (it might be more specific to computers, but I've really got nothing else to go on :p).

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no idea where the original buyer got the systems from. It likely wasn't Apple.

As far as warranties go, I believe that the local laws are quite different from US ones. For starters, the manufacturer's warranty is in addition to the legislated guarantees, eg. I could take back a failing computer after 18 months even if the warranty was only for a year. This doesn't apply to my MBP because it was a private sale, but it would apply if it was bought from a registered business.

Have a read if you like :)

13. Smallville macrumors regular

Heh. No kidding. I made the mistake of buying the warranty in the 11th month (didn't have enough to buy it at the time of the computer purchase), stuck it in a drawer and the result: Apple was kind enough to refund the money.

14. BKKbill macrumors 6502

BKKbill

That really is above and beyond what one could expect.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think that's the best explanation. When answering these Applecare questions, I'm going to be putting *For US only* in small font! :p :)

*Like this. :p